Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Extra grilling space on large?

Options
I'd like to do two things:  1) I'd love to have enough space in between the two grids (existing and new) for a pork shoulder.  2) I'd like to add a half a pizza stone on the standard grate and under the extension for indirect cooking.  Is this the way to go to add a second grate to the large or is there something better?  

http://biggreenegg.com/product/2-level-cooking-grid/

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I think the 2 level grid you linked to is for the XL, won't fit on the Large if it's the one I'm thinking of. And, it's too tight to fit a pork shoulder on the first grid.

Here's another option:
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com/pages/adjustable-rig-for-large-big-green-egg-introduction
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Here is another option for youL
    http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/stacker-and-16-grill-grate-combo

That is the way I'll be going soon. I can't afford an AR anytime soon.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Fire bricks are used regularly by some on here. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    If you have a platesetter already u might look at a pswoo and extender. 

Little Rock, AR

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Fire bricks are used regularly by some on here. 
    The easy, low cost solution I use.  Works quite well.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You can build your own second tier (that's what I did). Here's the basic rundown.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#raisedgrid

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Brian22
    Options
    These are great options.  Thanks y'all.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    ^^^^this.  I had the homemade raised grid for a long time and I'm not knocking it but the woo and extender lets you slide the top grid mostly out of the way so you can flip the protein on the main grid a whole lot easier.  I'm glad I bought the extender 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,612
    Options
    I've used a Grill Dome grill extender on my XL for a few years.  Still solid.  About $40 in various egg sizes.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Buy a second grid (mine is a weber) and three 1/4" carriage bolts (length based on how much space you want between grids), nuts and washers as needed. My setup raises the new grid to gasket level. Indirect piece can be placed on the lower grid. I think the grid was about $15-18 and the nuts and bolts were already on hand ($3-4 if not). 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    Options
    Buy a second grid (mine is a weber) and three 1/4" carriage bolts (length based on how much space you want between grids), nuts and washers as needed. My setup raises the new grid to gasket level. Indirect piece can be placed on the lower grid. I think the grid was about $15-18 and the nuts and bolts were already on hand ($3-4 if not). 

Don't trust this newbie, he means well!  This or more simply 3 fire bricks around the perimeter of the fire box, on a grate if you want 2 level cooking.  More flexibility moving grates for me.  And I only wish I could cook like the newbie.  Options brother.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Brian22 said:
    I'd like to do two things:  1) I'd love to have enough space in between the two grids (existing and new) for a pork shoulder.  2) I'd like to add a half a pizza stone on the standard grate and under the extension for indirect cooking.  Is this the way to go to add a second grate to the large or is there something better?  

http://biggreenegg.com/product/2-level-cooking-grid/

Thanks for any suggestions!
    Also should note the eggcessory you linked is exclusively made for the XL. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Don't trust this newbie, he means well!  This or more simply 3 fire bricks around the perimeter of the fire box, on a grate if you want 2 level cooking.  More flexibility moving grates for me.  And I only wish I could cook like the newbie.  Options brother.
    What are ya gonna do with three bricks when you aren't using them? My three bolts are attached to the to grid and I just set it aside when not in use. Plus, bricks take up more real estate.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:

What are ya gonna do with three bricks when you aren't using them? My three bolts are attached to the to grid and I just set it aside when not in use. Plus, bricks take up more real estate.
    They store well.  And if ever you need one to throw through a window....  Your bolts would bounce off ;). Seriously brother Q, they're cheap, easy and quickly interchangeable.  Simple solution of several.  If you want to start a fight I'll have to age something special for your visit ;)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,612
    Options
    that's fantastic, arguing about who has the best Sanford and Son rig.

https://youtu.be/NIK9yffjRK8

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Play nice boys!!   ;)
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    ^^^^this.  I had the homemade raised grid for a long time and I'm not knocking it but the woo and extender lets you slide the top grid mostly out of the way so you can flip the protein on the main grid a whole lot easier.  I'm glad I bought the extender 
    When I was at the CGS Store I went with PSWOO knowing that in the next 12 months I would be back getting the Extender and Grid (or maybe a Weber Grid).  Every time I do the math to get SS parts its not that far off getting the extender.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    @Brian22 I am confident that as a Tech guy you can successfully engineer something that will work. Isn't that right @theyolksonyou

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    I'm with @Carolina Q on this one :D.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    you can improvese with bricks and random grids or purchase a woo or ar from cgs which makes things easier. =) this was my setup from the old days

2005010904jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Brian22 I am confident that as a Tech guy you can successfully engineer something that will work. Isn't that right @theyolksonyou
    Without a doubt. THWG!
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:

They store well.  And if ever you need one to throw through a window....  Your bolts would bounce off ;). Seriously brother Q, they're cheap, easy and quickly interchangeable.  Simple solution of several.  If you want to start a fight I'll have to age something special for your visit ;)
    When not in use put them on your egg table spaced out to sit hot grates or place setter on. Keeps the really hot stuff off of your nice table top.
    MiniMax 04/17

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I have the PSwoo and I'm thinking about the extender. Does it require any specific grill grate? Or will just any ole 16" grate will work?
    MiniMax 04/17

• Brian22
    Brian22 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  Firebricks and grids did the trick.  We got it, Kitchens.  THWG!
  • humbleprisoner
    Options
    When you use a setup like what @Stormbringer and @Carolina Q  are using does it throw off your cooking time? I am wanting to do something similar, but I cannot wrap my head around having two levels of cooking in the LBGE. Maybe I need to just do more research. 

Cooking for others enjoyment is not only a passionate reward, it's one of the greatest ways to use what God has given me. Wilmore, KY MBG, LBGE

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    This was my solution to extra grilling space on a large. 

Show off  B)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,069
    edited January 2017
    Options
    When you use a setup like what @Stormbringer and @Carolina Q  are using does it throw off your cooking time? I am wanting to do something similar, but I cannot wrap my head around having two levels of cooking in the LBGE. Maybe I need to just do more research. 
    Cooking items on the top level generally cooks them faster. For example, a spatchcock chicken cooked at the felt line can take around 65 minutes, whereas it takes 50 minutes raised. These are guidelines as I cook to internal temperature. I generally cook meat on the top level and then other items (sweetcorn, for example) on the lower level, covered up.

It just takes a cook to get used to it :).
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    This was my solution to extra grilling space on a large. 

That was the same solution I came up with.......with the exception of that fancy table  =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • PirateBill
    Options
    Here is another option for youL
    http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/stacker-and-16-grill-grate-combo

That is the way I'll be going soon. I can't afford an AR anytime soon.
    ^^^^ This is the way I go, very versatile and works with or without the plate setter.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.