Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is ALDI Beef good?

Options
I don't usually shop at Aldi, even though it's only 2 miles from home. My SIL raves about it though so I stopped by this afternoon. Bought a few things, including a 2 lb chuckie for $2.99/lb. Thinking of some chili in the next day or two. What say you?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm not an aldi shopper either, but haven't heard a bad word about them. They are the premier grocer in Germany I think. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I'm not an aldi shopper either, but haven't heard a bad word about them. They are the premier grocer in Germany I think. 
    The family also owns Trader Joe's
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    The family also owns Trader Joe's
    Since 1979 apparently. I've only been to TJ's a couple of times. It's about 25 miles away. Aldi is close, but I've always had this aversion to Brand X products. For the money, I guess I should get over that. Milk, cauliflower and broccoli are far less than elsewhere! And the chuckie.

Thanks guys.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Experiences with the perishables have been very limited, but no problems here for us.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Slabotnick
    Options
    They are a surprisingly good option. Just have to be willing to not always get what you want there. But they have grass fed and organic options available. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    They are a surprisingly good option. Just have to be willing to not always get what you want there. But they have grass fed and organic options available. 
    Thanks. This beef is neither grass fed nor organic. But it was the only chuck they had. If the chili's not good, I can always add beans. My Texas friends say that's the way to go anyway. :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Thanks. This beef is neither grass fed nor organic. But it was the only chuck they had. If the chili's not good, I can always add beans. My Texas friends say that's the way to go anyway. :rofl:
    That's some funny bull $h!t right there!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Aldi house brands are really good. Trader Joe's is like the sriracha flavored version of Aldi. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Hotch said:
    That's some funny bull $h!t right there!
    Heh heh heh................

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    I don't cook meat and haven't for years.  Don't know why you guys waste your time buying meat for your grills.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    There is one up the road from us.  I have yet to go inside.   the only thing I know about the place is you have to pay a quarter to grab a shopping cart and then you get the quarterback supposedly. Other than that I know nothing about it. Are the prices in there much better than any warehouse sort of shopping such as Sam's Club, BJs, COSTCO, etc?   Or are they just more of a competitive regular grocery store?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    We have found good prices on certain items and same process for other things.  You pay a quarter for a cart, get it back at checkout and bring your own bags as they do not have bags.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Q, their choice chucks are solid, $2.99/lb every day....all day.

Same with ground grass fed, $5.49/lb.  Other places are $8/lb.

The all natural whole chickens are $1.49/lb.
    Chicken wings are sometimes $1.49/lb.

That is all I really get of their meat.  I think fish likes their hams, haven't tried one yet.

Saw some "artisan" jalapeno bacon that looked pretty good last trip.  Will grab some to try next time.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks. Actually went there looking for ham as I read one of fish's comments. But it has just as much sodium as everyone else's so I didn't buy any. I miss jamon.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks. Actually went there looking for ham as I read one of fish's comments. But it has just as much sodium as everyone else's so I didn't buy any. I miss jamon.
    Their choice skirt looked good too, $5.49/lb.
    Skirt for $8/lb at most other places is laughable.
    Have always looked over that overpriced cut, but $5.49 is worthy of a go IMO.  With a new tortilla press coming, that will get thrown in the cart eventually.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Their stock on beef was pretty low today. I'll try again. They're only a couple of miles away.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    And their huge distribution center is only 7 miles from my store. On one of my bike routes. :)

Aldi.jpg 202.7K

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    And their huge distribution center is only 7 miles from my store. On one of my bike routes. :)

Nice!
    There are ideal stocking days to go, especially for their produce, it sells quick.  The cashiers all recognize me through the years and small talk.  I will have to ask them what days are best.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Focker said:

Nice!
    There are ideal stocking days to go, especially for their produce, it sells quick.  The cashiers all recognize me through the years.  I will have to ask them what days are best.
    I've found with their fruit is that you need to eat it sooner than later. It doesn't seem to hold fresh very long. It maybe just our Aldi here in town though. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    That was my experience the one time I bought veggies from them. Wound up throwing much of it out. Today was the first time I've been back since then.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Focker said:

Nice!
    There are ideal stocking days to go, especially for their produce, it sells quick.  The cashiers all recognize me through the years.  I will have to ask them what days are best.
    I've found with their fruit is that you need to eat it sooner than later. It doesn't seem to hold fresh very long. It maybe just our Aldi here in town though. 
    Ours has a shorter life too V.  I have an Aldi within a mile, so I do quick walk throughs with a collapsible bag behind the bench of my truck.  Avacados are the same, but much cheaper, than even the Mexican Supermercado.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I like Aldi.  Haven't bought that much meat there though. Great prices. I have had some issues with produce not lasting very long.  Yes it takes a quarter (that you get back) to get a cart but that allows them to not hire a cart guy.  Apparently they have figured out we'll push the cart back 100 ft to get our $0.25 back. 

One trick I use if I'm after more than a few items.  I take a laundry basket and put in the empty cart that the gal uses after she rings up the items.  While they won't bag for you, they'll put it in a box or basket in the cart.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Apparently they have figured out we'll push the cart back 100 ft to get our $0.25 back. 
    Remember the days when, not only would they bag your groceries, but some high school kid would push the cart to your car and put the groceries into the car? Yes, children, they really did that. And gas was 15¢ a gallon.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hotch
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Apparently they have figured out we'll push the cart back 100 ft to get our $0.25 back. 
    Remember the days when, not only would they bag your groceries, but some high school kid would push the cart to your car and put the groceries into the car? Yes, children, they really did that. And gas was 15¢ a gallon.
    Michael my local Brookshire's still does it today!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Aldi is great. We dont get everything from there but it is one of the main places we get groceries from. You just cant beat their prices on most stuff and its good too. Bacon is the only meat ive got from there and its pretty good. Maybe we will try some of the other stuff. 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Hotch said:
    JethroVA said:
    The good old days.  Now you have to scan and bag the groceries yourself, next we will have to unload the truck in the back also.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I refuse self checkout. I will pay a bit more to keep the workers employed and anything that resembles a full service experience. I'm not against Aldi, I'm just for decent jobs. Each kind of store has its place IMO. I just hope we can support the full service stores enough to keep them a float. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Hotch said:
    JethroVA said:
    I knew there must be something good about living in Texas! :rofl: jk (sorta)

Making Cindy's (so far) beanless chili with my Aldi's chuck roast. 'Bout halfway done. I did throw an onion and some tomatoes in there. Haven't decided about the beans yet. :lol: Whatever I've done to it, the basics remain unchanged and every batch has been outstanding. It's the only recipe I've used since you gave it to me... thanks again!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

I refuse self checkout. I will pay a bit more to keep the workers employed and anything that resembles a full service experience. I'm not against Aldi, I'm just for decent jobs. Each kind of store has its place IMO. I just hope we can support the full service stores enough to keep them a float. 
    I will use self checkout only if I have a handful of items and all the full service lines are long. That is, fortunately, rare in the stores around here.

I was in line yesterday, waiting behind a very full conveyor. A cashier opened up the next register so I moved there (just had a couple of items). When I got there, she said, "I'll be right back. I have to go to the lady's room." LOL, true story. I waited. It was still quicker than the line I left. But barely. Full service ain't always what it's cracked up to be. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hotch
    Options
    Hotch said:
    JethroVA said:
    I knew there must be something good about living in Texas! :rofl: jk (sorta)

Making Cindy's (so far) beanless chili with my Aldi's chuck roast. 'Bout halfway done. I did throw an onion and some tomatoes in there. Haven't decided about the beans yet. :lol: Whatever I've done to it, the basics remain unchanged and every batch has been outstanding. It's the only recipe I've used since you gave it to me... thanks again!!
    @Carolina Q We've started using smoked brisket as the protein now. Adds another layer of flavor. But you do need smoke the brisket, chill it and then cube it prior to making the gravy. Shelly won the chili cook-off at work and a West coast co-worker took 2nd place in her event. Was her first time to cook real chili, Texas Red.

BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX