Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dough Balls

Options
Found some tipo 00 flour at Wegman's so threw some dough together tonight for a pizza cook Saturday. I am a huge advocate of the cold rise. Throwing this tray in the fridge. Will have finished product pics if I remember!

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sweet!  

In regards to pizza and bread, there are a couple of must dos IMO.

1.  Bloom your yeast.
    2.  Use 00, or KA products.
    3.  Use distilled, or bottled water.
    4.  And cold ferment.

The sweet spot seems to be around day 3 for the pizzas.

Have fun Saturday.

You gonna drizzle one with Mike's Hot Honey?
    Love that stuff btw.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @Focker what do you mean by,  "bloom your yeast? "
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    @Focker what do you mean by,  "bloom your yeast? "
    He means if you don't know what he means, you obviously aren't a pizza guru. C'mon. 

Use some fancy words, introduce complications. Adhere to whatever the top foodie bloggers advise.

But hate to beeak it to you if your pizza doesn't require three days planning, you don't deserve good pizza. 

Kidding. But not kidding. But mostly kidding
  • bigbadben
    Options
    Focker said:
    Sweet!  

1.  Bloom your yeast.
    4.  And cold ferment.

The sweet spot seems to be around day 3 for the pizzas.

Have fun Saturday.

You gonna drizzle one with Mike's Hot Honey?
    Love that stuff btw.

Try sourdough pizza. One day pizzas are way more flavorful than yeasted dough with a 7 day proof. 
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I too am a fan of the 72 hour dough. Made a double batch last week and used half, froze the other half (after the 72 hour rise) Plan to use it this weekend to see how it works.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Focker said:

1.  Bloom your yeast.
    4.  And cold ferment.
    1. I never do that. Instant yeast (SAF, but I dunno if brand matters) mixed in with the other dry ingredients. Then add cold water.
    2. I have 00, but haven't used it in a while. KA's ok, so is whatever's cheaper. :)
    3. Why? Tap water here.
    4. Agreed. Though I want to try the camp bread no knead recipe for pizza sometime. Mix, cover and set aside on the counter for about five hours. It's pretty wet and sloppy, but I still want to try it. Makes good bread anyway. Did a loaf yesterday that looked like this after 5 hrs...

(not my pic)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theeggcellentchef
    Options
    Pizzas were a success. Two varieties of margarita, wild pig (sweet and hot sausage, locally foraged wild mushrooms and calabrese pepper spread) and soppressata with hot honey drizzle. 

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    @Focker what is the advaof distilled water? 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    With the holiday rut approaching, seems like I have a gnat on the sack this season.  He buzzes around, I can't shoot him with my Bug-A-Salt, or swat, for fear of getting the rolling pin and dough balls caught in the crossfire.  Maybe the bay lime beard oil I use down there, is a gnat attractant?
    @JustineCaseyFeldown

@CarolinaQ, @CPARKTX, @GoooDawgs

"Proofing", is a way to hydrate and nourish the yeast, giving it a head start.  When I first started making my own pizza dough, I could not get my dough to bloom, or rise.  I buy the jars of ADY, and IDY, and now store them in the freezer.  Discovered my yeast was old, dead.  Then I still couldn't get my yeast to bloom like pictures I referenced.  Which led me to our Mississippi River water that is heavily treated, which kills all yeast when used in recipes.  So YMMV depending on your water supply.

I have learned..
    If cooking is an art, baking is engineering.

If I, with repetition and consistency, can achieve the same results, using readily available products...I can remove a few variables.  Whether at home, or at a campground, it's good to have WallyWorld distilled water jugs, and KA flour, pretty much wherever I go. 

Now there are many, who will say this is unnecessary..but my dough, and results, improved significantly by incorporating a few, constant, tips.  With blooming, I have found, that my rises are more profound, than not preactivating with warm water and honey or molasses.  IDK if that improves end product, but at least I'm not tossing out dough.  That sucked, like the gnat above.

It is completely unnecessary to prove, instant dry yeast.

The 36 hour dough is extremely difficult.  Some may take weeks, carving out a pumpkin at Halloween, or 2 months aging a subprimal....but fail miserably, calculating the two days ahead on a calender with their fingers when they want to egg a pie, and managing 10 minutes of their schedule on that calculated day, to mix 3 ingredients.

Please everyone, proceed with caution.  
    This is serious stuff.  
    You have been warned.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."