Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder Noob! Good Start. Looking Forward To Getting Better

Options
Krughzn
Krughzn Posts: 38
So we finally ate enough of our Thanksgiving leftovers that I was able to do my 2nd cook on the egg. Started with 2 Costco boneless shoulders, just under 13 lbs total.  Dry brine with salt for almost 18 hours. I made some MeatHead Memphis Rub and used a little over 1/3 cup on it. 250 degrees, BGE lump and some pecan chips. 

Since there were two, I wrapped one with foil at about 162 degrees and let the other one ride out the stall. Wrapped one took just over 7 hours. Unwrapped one took just under 9. I pulled wrapped at 203 and unwrapped at 202 on the Thermopen. All in all it tasted really good. We had some pulled pork sammiches and took about 4 pounds over to my neighbor from the wrapped shoulder. Unwrapped will all be leftovers for the family or anyone who happens to stop by. 

Thanks for looking. 
San Diego, Ca. XL BGE, 42" Lynx All Sear Grill,Thermapen, Thermopop, Adjustable Rig Combo, Maverick 733, SS Smokeware Cap, Flame Boss 200, Grill Grates. 

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That's a good start. Keep working and you'll get it just how you want it. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    So did you like wrapped or nekid better?
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Krughzn
    Options
    I liked them both, but I'd say need this time. I'm going to try this method a couple more times and see which one I like more as I get better. 
    San Diego, Ca. XL BGE, 42" Lynx All Sear Grill,Thermapen, Thermopop, Adjustable Rig Combo, Maverick 733, SS Smokeware Cap, Flame Boss 200, Grill Grates. 

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nice!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Great start right there.  Continue to have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.