Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak: one step closer

Options
2»

Comments

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
     A roast works

Make sure it's as long as it is wide and you are fine. Or longer

But a subprimal is better, less loss when you lop off the ends
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @JustineCaseyFeldown alrighty then, hopefully in january i'll give it a go.  after the guests are gone.  i think kids opening the fridge didn't help the cause either.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Fridge opening isn't an issue

you want no wet surfaces. Get it on a rack
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @Little Steven @JustineCaseyFeldown what cut would you recommend for a beginner, that would fit in a beer fridge?
    Wasn't asked and am no expert.  Age a bone in or boneless prime ribeye of beef.  7 bones.  Age it no less than 45 days.  Probably no more than 60 days due to regular folks tastes.  My amateur opinion.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I have a question for the more experienced Sous Vide people here, I actually just received an Anova .. I know you get an awesome sear using a cast iron skillet - but does anyone have an opinion on flipping over a set of Grill Grates and using the flat side to sear?

Would I put the (for example) Ribeye dry or would a use some sort of oil?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I have a question for the more experienced Sous Vide people here, I actually just received an Anova .. I know you get an awesome sear using a cast iron skillet - but does anyone have an opinion on flipping over a set of Grill Grates and using the flat side to sear?

Pat off the moisture from SV. Use a high smoke point oil like grape seed or ghee either directly in the pan or brushed onto protein. I prefer 2-2.5 min per side. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    ^^^This guys a piece of work, best advice he's ever given.  
  • blind99
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    @Little Steven @JustineCaseyFeldown what cut would you recommend for a beginner, that would fit in a beer fridge?
    Wasn't asked and am no expert.  Age a bone in or boneless prime ribeye of beef.  7 bones.  Age it no less than 45 days.  Probably no more than 60 days due to regular folks tastes.  My amateur opinion.
    @bgebrent I saw the thread you guys did with those killer dry aged hunks of beef.  just embarassing, if a guy like you can pull that off, why can't I?  ;) 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    blind99 said:
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    @bgebrent I saw the thread you guys did with those killer dry aged hunks of beef.  just embarassing, if a guy like you can pull that off, why can't I?  ;) 
    Agree. If he can do it, anyone can. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Pressures on MF!  That's the realm we live in.  Wait, are you dissing me? :o
  • bgebrent
    Options
    blind99 said:
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    #blindsquirrelgetsthenut.  Jason, I have a wing sauce recipe you need...
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    Amazon does as well
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    Amazon does as well
    The agony of defeat....
  • blind99
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Pressures on MF!  That's the realm we live in.  Wait, are you dissing me? :o
    re pressure, you got that right!  cooking is a nice change of pace - no one gets hurt if you screw up, unless you serve them rotten meat!

blind99 said:
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    that's going to be my cooking motto.  i might even make a shirt.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Cooking is a great reprieve and source of enjoyment.  We be on the same page my friend.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    Amazon does as well
    I just wish Jason could learn how to cook.  Only bitterness and sadness.  Maybe next year.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    Amazon does as well
    I just wish Jason could learn how to cook.  Only bitterness and sadness.  Maybe next year.
    I'm just a troll. My wife does all th the cooking. Wait, that's you!
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:
    Amazon does as well
    I'm just a troll. My wife does all th the cooking. Wait, that's you!
    Everyday you wannabe!  Why work when you can sit back, drink beer and be fed great food?  Beats that chair in the garage every time!  Bitterness about to be spewed. ;)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

Pat off the moisture from SV. Use a high smoke point oil like grape seed or ghee either directly in the pan or brushed onto protein. I prefer 2-2.5 min per side. 
    Almost the most intuitive answer. If I could just add, there is no difference between ghee and clarified butter with respect to smoke point. I love ghee on naan and paratha and as a cooking oil for any Indian food but I don't like the flavour in western foods.

Steve 

Caledon, ON