Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt Block Recommendations

I am thinking about giving my brother a salt block for Christmas.  Can any of you offer some advice on brand, type, size, etc?  Thanks! 
I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Not sure what size mine was but I'd make sure to get one that has a frame with handles. I don't think you have to get anything too crazy big. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • I bought mine off of Amazon for around $30-35. I don't have the holder, so I just put it on a cookie sheet. It's awesome for seared ahi tuna or tomatoes.
    1 XL , 1 LBGE , 1MM a very tolerant hubby and 2 hungry teenage boys with a lot of friends. I Love playin' with charcoal and sippin' Bourbon in Fenton, MI. Live Large!
  • Over the years of watching various Kamado forums I have seen salt blocks come and go. No one seems to cook on them for very long.  I would suggest a new version piece of CI or soapstone. 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited November 2016
    Check out Mark Bitterman's site http://themeadow.com/
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited November 2016

kristi there are a few sources out there see if any have a black sale.

https://www.seasalt.com/holiday-sales.html
     I have bought a few different packages from salt works and they usually have good package deals.

I have an 8"x8"x2" that lives to cook on my small.  I would go for the cheeper model and make sure they will stand behind it if it eggsplodes within a month or so.  That has happened here once I know of and it was immediately replaced.  Probably some water in it.
    I place on my small direct and bring it up to temp with the egg 450-500F.  Used to let cool and wash in sink when I first got it a few years ago, now I just wipe with a wet paper towel when still warm, let it cool, rub with a wire brush when cool and the next time I cook the top becomes the bottom.  Also I store it in the house as the humidity here in Florida will slowly dissolve the block.  If it ever breaks I plan or grinding the pieces for table salt.