Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

placing bbq guru clip

Options
where is the best place to clip that monitors the internal temp of egg

thanks

rdeal
See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                    Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Lots of different opinions but I like to check the pit temp as close to the meat as possible. But a hunk of cold meat can skew the temp readings.

So pick a spot that you like and be consistent.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I'm a believer in placing at the grate level and near the protein. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    clip it to the dome thermo.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I clip it to the grate
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Grate level, over the top of a plate setter leg to shield from direct heat, NOT above a drip/water pan, and at least an inch or two from the meat, ceramic, and anything else.  You can put it above the meat, but just remember, the meat sucks up a bunch of heat and evaporation takes place--especially if you have a water or drip pan below.  You can shoot for 200F dome, knowing that it's going to be 225F-250F grate.

The temp underneath the dome varies quite as the fire moves around the fire box.  Plus different parts of the meat cook at different rates.  So, you're never going to have an accurate temp--it's just measure that cubic inch around that probe.  So, getting it in some free air, but shielded from the charcoal is going to get for the best average temp.