Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheat butt from cooler?

Options
Nole_Fan
Nole_Fan Posts: 54
Putting a butt on tonight to be done in the morning before the turkeys go on.  Hope do be done no later than 7, but may put on a little earlier tonight just to be on the safe side.

I know I can foil, towel, and cooler it for about 4.5 hours, but I will need more than that.

What is the best method to bring it back up to temp when it is time to eat and it has cooled too much in the cooler?
LBGE
Thomasville, GA

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    In that case you are far better off pulling it tonight and then reheating the meat. There are many favorite methods of reheating - but in the solid form no!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Nole_Fan
    Options
    I figure the cooler will be good for 4 hours.  I need at least 5.
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA
  • Nole_Fan
    Options
    RRP said:
    In that case you are far better off pulling it tonight and then reheating the meat. There are many favorite methods of reheating - but in the solid form no!

How do you recommend heating back up after pulling 5 hours or so before eating?
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Nole_Fan said:
    I figure the cooler will be good for 4 hours.  I need at least 5.
    will hold much longer than five.

four hours? you could literally leave it on the counter and it would be safe four four hours, since you are allowed four hours between 40-140, and you will be hotter than that for a long while anyway.

• Nole_Fan
    Options
    Good to know.  Thanks!
    LBGE
    Thomasville, GA
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    as RRP says though, may consider shredding it and reheating covered (in foil, a dish, whatever).  you may not have the room in the kitchen though.

so, smallest cooler you have, and wrap in foil (so you don't dirty the cooler).  may want to set it on a towel, because i once melted my cooler.

i don't wrap in towels myself.  if the cooler is small, no need.  big giant beer cooler? then towels can help too. but it p!sses the wife off to have bbq laundry