Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smobot?

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
edited November 2016 in Off Topic
I haven't seen hide nor hair of the Smobot guys in a while?  Any of you beta testers been hearing from them?

They have a great controller,.  Wondering about their plans.

@reinhart36 ....
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I haven't seen/heard anything from them in a long time. 
    Are you having any issues with yours? I can't seem to log into it to control settings while at home, but it works otherwise. Probable my issue and not theirs.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    ryantt said:
    I haven't seen/heard anything from them in a long time. 
    Are you having any issues with yours? I can't seem to log into it to control settings while at home, but it works otherwise. Probable my issue and not theirs.  
    Nope, no issues at all.  Seemed pretty market ready.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    He'll be showing up on Kickstarter soon in order to raise the capital to take production to the next level.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    The Smobot has no issues.  I love mine.  Very reliable, and very simplistic for setup.

I particularly love the portability of the demo unit. As I understand, the production unit will not have a battery compartment, but you can buy a very cheap battery source for it, it requires very little power.

I know they had issues with the original probes, mine did as well.  They sent me some replacement ones that they were told are better although they look the same.  So far, so good with the new probes.

they guys that run it are super nice too.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    They've been active on Twitter. 
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

I have a Smobot, and am a Beta Tester for the Medium Egg. It is a great item, wouldn't live without it for long cooks. Had an issue about a month ago, returned the unit and they fixed it pronto. No issues with the probes.

I heard they are getting ready for a Kickstarter also.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Used mine all weekend, best controller I've ever used.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.