Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which turkey would you choose?

Options
JethroVA
JethroVA Posts: 1,251
I have a choice of "fresh young turkey" from Wegmans or frozen Butterball at Aldi's.   Both .99 lb.  Which would you go with? Does fresh always beat frozen? 
Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would go with fresh.  If for no other reason, you dont have to mess with defrosting it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Depends if you want to brine or not probably. Is the young fresh also natural or is it already injected with stuff?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    While the fresh turkey labeling is almost a scam to pay more since these are comparibly priced I would try the "fresh". I'm betting you've done plenty of Butterballs so you can compare afterwards. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • JethroVA
    Options
    @Dobie yep I've done lots of Butterballs.  And the fresh is from Wegmans, an extremely reputable chain so I'm going to guess not a scam. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    @Dobie yep I've done lots of Butterballs.  And the fresh is from Wegmans, an extremely reputable chain so I'm going to guess not a scam. 
    I'm pretty sure the fresh at Wegmans just means 'never frozen.'  I'd probably go with that one because Wegmans is so reliable with quality, and as @smokeypitt mentioned, you don't need to to defrost.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    edited November 2016
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    @JethroVA
    Im not suggesting its Wegmans perpetuating a scam. We don't have them down here but I hope we get them some day. I hear they're fantastic. Some interesting reading on the subject http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/ultimate_smoked_turkey.html#fresh
    Jacksonville FL
  • NonaScott
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    I always use fresh butterball turkeys. Never been disappointed.
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    First, glad you are out and about after your recent scare. Fresh is easier......which is how I roll. You and family have a great holiday regardless of your choice. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Hope the fresh turkey is really fresh.  2 years in a row we went to Fresh Market to purchase fresh turkeys and both years they were frozen in the middle when we got them.  Have been using frozen the last 2 years and they have been good.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Can not say this is 100% truth but told all fresh turkeys are like fresh fish in that they were at one time flash frozen. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• JethroVA
    Options
    @Mickey I did go with the fresh (Kroger not Wegmans) and I could feel that it was frozen in the center.  Perhaps "fresh" means that it was recently processed whereas the hard solid frozen ones could be months old.  Lets the processors level out their production over time. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Remember, we need pictures or you just cooked a chicken. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I bought one of each. Have the "frozen" one in the egg right now, as a test case. Defrosted it for 15 hours in brine - no frozen spots at all. Water temp early this morning was a solid 37º, but the freezer packs were mostly liquid.

I feel "safe" as long as I trust it was under 40º the entire defrost period.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.