Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for first cook using chicken

Options

Recently bought my LBGE and made some delicious baby backs last weekend. I am looking for recommendations for my first cook using chicken.

TIA!

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    A forum favorite chix recipe is spatchcocked chix; technique linked here:  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm  It is a great intro and will likely change the way you cook 'em going forward.  FWIW-
    Another option -  cook the same as you have on a prior outdoor cooking machine and note difference.
    BTW-Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Most of all, have fun experimenting and don't run out of adult supervisory beverages.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RyanisinTexas
    Options

Thanks!! Those directions seem very easy and the bird looks delicious.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I did a beer can chicken on my LBGE using the folding bird stand shown on the BGE site. I brined the bird with a simple brown sugar and kosher salt brine for about 4 hours, then rubbed it down with Penzeys North Woods Seasoning. I added one chunk each of apple and pecan to the lump coal. It was awesome, and even better warmed up the next day. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • TexasBelliott
    Options
    Always brine your birds. It makes a big difference. Any simple brine will do.
    LBGE, MM, KABs

Fort Worth, TX

If it's worth doing, do it low and slow.
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    Spatchcock. You will love it. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2016
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Invertabird or pollo al mattone

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @Little_Steven - tossing around those big words from the GWN and not even from Quebec-  I am challenged enough with the spatch-tried to frame an invertabird once-my surgery skills failed miserably.  Defaulted to the Rodeo song  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Options

Lou,

Pollo al mattone translates roughly to "chicken under a brick". Spatchcock bird with Italian herbs and garlic on the breast with some olive oil. Put a CI pan in the egg and get it hot. Drop the bird on it breast side down and put a foil wrapped brick on it. Ten minutes later flip the bird and put the brick back on till done. Invertabird is my stand chicken done breast down indirect. I've posted it ad nauseam.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation- I am well aware of the invertabird but as above, either my ---k is too big or I have something else going on, just can't seem to get a good fit.  ;)  TWSS
    You can't expect much from a sewer pipe sailor.  
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    It's hard to go wrong with whole chicken in the egg. All above great ideas. My guess is simply throwing it in indirect 300-350 would do the trick as well.

echo the brine suggestion makes a big difference 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Oh legs to the back breast to the front 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Raised direct spatch cocked bird with seasonings you like.  Hard to beat.  Legs and thighs oriented toward the back of the egg.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Just clip 2" of that bad boy off and the stand will fit easily. Most of it's in your  head. (the big one)

Steve 

Caledon, ON