Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Burnt Wings! What's your method?

KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited November 2016 in EggHead Forum
So, I have to say I have made hundreds of fantastic wings on the egg.  I have it down.  It's repeatable.  I usually do them raised indirect low and slow...maybe sometimes raised direct.  If I don't rush they come out great and to be honest, don't take that long to cook.

That said, when I try to cook them for a mid-week "quick" cook I always burn them.   To clarify, this is when I picked some wings up on the way home, got the kids, wife is on the way, everybody is grumpy because they are hungry and I'm trying to get dinner on the table.  So while cooking the chicken I'm making sides, setting the table, etc..

...I always burn them.  I cooked these direct, not raised.  Probably had the temp around 300 but I didn't monitor it too closely as I opened the top often to flip the wings and move them around as needed.   The flavor of these bad boys was delicious, but over half of them had full burnt sides.   Not inedible burnt...this was flavorful char that didn't sit long on the flame, but not what I'd serve to guests and the family is picky about things that look burnt.  You know what I'm talking about. 

Here's a picture; note, most of the black winglets are hiding on the bottom.

So what's your quick wing cook method?  Thanks!
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• I go raised direct at about 375. But I like them on the crispy side
    Franklin, TN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,316
    I go raised (around 3 1/2" above the gasket line) direct at around 350-375*F.  flip around every 10-15 mins til done usually 40-50 mins.  Not sure there is a "quick way" to get there w/o close attention.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    I've given up doing anything "quick" on the egg outside of burgers and filets.  Everything takes longer than I expect.
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Raised direct 400F.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,677
    Raised direct 400/425
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• KiterTodd
    @Mickey, how long roughly does that take.  30 minutes? 

Maybe a higher heat raised direct is the call.  In the past when I've done short cooks raised direct (wings, fish, shrimp) it cooks fine but doesn't crisp.  I do want it browned (just not black).

When I let it ride as a low and slow... it's not that slow and I do get brown wings.  But I don't have time for that in a mid-week zero-planning cook.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Mickey
    KiterTodd said:
    @Mickey, how long roughly does that take.  30 minutes? 

Maybe a higher heat raised direct is the call.  In the past when I've done short cooks raised direct (wings, fish, shrimp) it cooks fine but doesn't crisp.  I do want it browned (just not black).

When I let it ride as a low and slow... it's not that slow and I do get brown wings.  But I don't have time for that in a mid-week zero-planning cook.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tikigriller
    Good things come to those that wait. They weren't fast, but they were damn good tonight!!!

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    You already know this.  Raised direct for 45'.  Carry on brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • KiterTodd
    bgebrent said:
    You already know this.  Raised direct for 45'.  Carry on brother.
    Damn it then...no short cuts for wings I guess!  ;)

Figured they're so little, I could do them in 25 someway or other.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Mickey
    Forgot to add: 400/425 raised direct. App 25/30 min

• When I want wings fast I will deep fry them, different flavor from grillled but still delicious and better than take out. I haven't mastered "fast" on the egg yet, although I have tried. 
  • KiterTodd
    Mickey said:
    Crap!  I'm in!!!   Need to go buy some wings and try this again.  

Now to figure out how to hold a steady 425 on my LBGE...low temps have never been a problem, the higher temps always roller coaster on me.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Mickey
    KiterTodd said:
    Mickey said:
    Crap!  I'm in!!!   Need to go buy some wings and try this again.  

Now to figure out how to hold a steady 425 on my LBGE...low temps have never been a problem, the higher temps always roller coaster on me.
    Catch temp on the way up. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    how about cook them in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes while you're getting the egg started then finish them off for some smoke and char?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • tikigriller
    400-450 really is not going To make much of a difference to the finished product. Just flip often the hotter it gets. Don't worry about the temp that much. 

Livermore, California
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @Mickey my wife has no clue who you are but is now your best friend with that post a while back. That teriyaki sauce is now a staple in the refrigerator. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mickey
    Jeremiah said:
    @Mickey my wife has no clue who you are but is now your best friend with that post a while back. That teriyaki sauce is now a staple in the refrigerator. 
    That stuff is outstanding!
    They make 3 and all are very good. 
    I am going to try it on my next spatchcocked whole chicken. 
    Glad to help. 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    WHAT!!!!!! we haven't seen the quintessential/traditional Mickey burnt wings pic yet?
  • KiterTodd
    Closing the loop on this...finally did another wing cook.

425ish raised direct.  Took 20-25 minutes, minimum attention, and they were frozen!  Score!!

Tossed frozen wings in some peanut oil and soy sauce so they'd have some stickage, and then tossed them with these 3;

Came out excellent.  They were probably ready to come off in 15-20 minutes, but still moist and delicious.  Would have been too spicy for the family,  but was perfect heat for me.

LBGE/Maryland