Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Question

Options
i recently was able to purchase a 4'2"x 4' piece of granite and a 25" 1/2 x 5 piece of granite for $75. And I want to make a table for an xl I am going to purchase. Any ideas? I know I will probably have to cut the larger piece down if I use it. My first post, thanks for the comments. I also have a minimax I will be using on this table.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

Comments

• volminimax
    Options
    No ideas?

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    There are some people on here that can probably help, I'm not one of them. Sounds like you are going to need quite a bit of cutting in the slabs. Have to cut them down to proper dimensions and cut a hole or possibly two. Google search Big green egg tables and I'm sure you will see a lot of stuff. Might be that those slabs are going to cost a bit more than 75 when all the fabrication is done. Good luck though the granite will be a great surface. 
  • volminimax
    Options
    I do have a question for people with an XL table, what is the depth of your table? How much area do you have between the egg and the edge of the table? Thanks in advance. I have the height from the BGE build sheet, and the length of course can't be over 4'2" unless I make the table longer than the granite.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
     I also found a awesome deal on some granite.  But after taking it to a shop to have them cut out the hole and put a bullnose edge around the table I was looking at another $600 just in labor.

Sure there are lots of videos on YouTube that show you how to cut granite but it's messy and it takes some special skill to get it cut perfectly or else you're going to screw up your table.

I was going to go this route but then I finally said screw it and I'm in the planning stage  of getting all of my metal together to start building the table.  The top part will either be 3/16" or 1/4" steel plate 3'X8'. 
     Granite does look nice but my plans for this table is going to be unique and I certainly doubt anyone on the forum has done the same thing   =)

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Mine is 32" deep. Just a few inches front and back. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • volminimax
    Options
     I also found a awesome deal on some granite.  But after taking it to a shop to have them cut out the hole and put a bullnose edge around the table I was looking at another $600 just in labor.

Sure there are lots of videos on YouTube that show you how to cut granite but it's messy and it takes some special skill to get it cut perfectly or else you're going to screw up your table.

I was going to go this route but then I finally said screw it and I'm in the planning stage  of getting all of my metal together to start building the table.  The top part will either be 3/16" or 1/4" steel plate 3'X8'. 
     Granite does look nice but my plans for this table is going to be unique and I certainly doubt anyone on the forum has done the same thing   =)

I come across this stuff from time to time. I work in insurance claims. This granite came out of someone's kitchen that flooded, so we took the granite as salvage. Nothing wrong with it. Just in misshaped sizes that don't really work for me. Just happened to bid $75 and won the bid.

I don't have a covered porch, just a deck, so I thought the granite might increase the life of the table.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016