Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite Bacon Seasoning/Flavor??

Options
I've done a few runs of bacon and I think I'm ready to start experimenting with some different flavor profiles. I've done traditional, spicy, and garlic rosemary (a fan favorite but in small portions).

I've got a pork belly that's ready to start the process tomorrow.

So I thought I would poll the masses. What are your favorites? And how do you do them? Flavor during the process, during the smoke, or during the final cooking? 

I've been thinking of trying maybe like a honey chipotle, maybe a maple cinnamon/sugar to go with waffles, and I have also been contemplating a Bloody Mary style bacon to go with the drink (Worcester sauce, Tabasco, lemon, olive juice, cayenne and regular pepper, maybe some horseradish)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

Comments

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Garlic pepper is the family favorite
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Black Peppercorn....my favorite. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Bloody Mary style sounds awesome!

im so lazy I didn't even smoke my latest batch. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JohnH12
    JohnH12 Posts: 213
    Options
    blind99 said:

Soooo, You just added liquid smoke to the cure?????
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Tell me more about the bloody Mary bacon.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    I have used a coffee rub with rave reviews from my tasting committee.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't know...I was just kinda sitting by the Egg last Sunday morning thinking, "I could really go for a Bloody Mary right now."

and then I remembered my sister made some with chocolate coated bacon one day. And then I just got to daydreaming and thought, "I could figure this out". 

I'll do a little research and see if I can test a recipe. 

Edit: I need to ask my sister about the lemon juice and make sure the acid won't start cooking the meat enough to mess it up. It's really convenient to have a master chef on speed dial sometimes. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• PiratePig
    Options
    Tough to beat bacon flavored bacon... =)
    Never hurried, never worried, never rushed.  LBGE, Weber Genesis
    Naperville, IL
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
     I really like bay leaf mixed with my cure.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm not much help.  When given the best Berkshire belly out there, less is more.  All I add to the pickle is a little bit of molasses.  Water, kosher, white sugar, brown sugar, molasses, pink salt.....FANCY! 

Some add-ins can harbor organisms, you may want to strain.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AKvajCu8Eo

I would explore other options if forced to use regular belly again.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• chadpsualum
    Options
    I don't know...I was just kinda sitting by the Egg last Sunday morning thinking, "I could really go for a Bloody Mary right now."

and then I remembered my sister made some with chocolate coated bacon one day. And then I just got to daydreaming and thought, "I could figure this out". 

I'll do a little research and see if I can test a recipe. 

Edit: I need to ask my sister about the lemon juice and make sure the acid won't start cooking the meat enough to mess it up. It's really convenient to have a master chef on speed dial sometimes. 
    If it is a problem could you just use a bunch of lemon zest to get the essence you're looking for?
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Good idea @chadpsualum

South of Nashville, TN

• blind99
    Options
    JohnH12 said:
    blind99 said:

Soooo, You just added liquid smoke to the cure?????

@johnh12 nope.  just plain old cured pork belly.  it's so good I don't miss the smoke flavor.  (or maybe my smoke flavor is so bad it's better without it. who knows.)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm into naked bacon.
    Wait!  This wasn't into reference to anything but, bacon.  Gotta be careful with this bunch of scoundrels it's libel to cue a @henapple pic
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blind99
    Options
    @nphuskerfl No need to repost that picture.  it's burned permanently into my brain, filed right next to 'scary clowns' and 'tofurkey'