Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chef Robert Del Grande, How to cook a steak...

Options
This guy is the chef/owner of Cafe Annie in Houston. I just came across this video on YouTube and thought his name looked familiar. Took a quick look in my "library" and lo and behold, his home kitchen is the cover photo! Who wouldn't LOVE to have a wood fired campfire indoors?! =) 

Del Grande's Home kitchen...

It appears that he practices what he preaches. Here's his version of ow to cook a steak...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq-nNfUrgNc

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Thanks for posting that. The steak really looked good.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    That steak looks awesome!  The kitchen is outrageous.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good way to cook steak for sure.  His contention the the juices are driven toward the center of the steak by the high heat, to me makes zero sense.  Juices move away from heat, nope.  They egress as steam.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I'm thinking' it may be time to get something like this. Already have the fireplace. Nuthin' better than campfire cookin'! Beats slaving over a hot egg... in the dead of a New England wintah! Dunno about grease buildup though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm thinking' it may be time to get something like this. Already have the fireplace. Nuthin' better than campfire cookin'! Beats slaving over a hot egg... in the dead of a New England wintah! Dunno about grease buildup though.

Michael,

Nice video.

I know you're a fan of Mallmann, this book is great if you want to find ways to cook outside of the egg.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Fire-Rediscovered-Techniques-Wood-Fired/dp/1612121586

She starts out with the simplest discussion, roasting marshmallows for s'mores.  So true, how important it is to cook over an even, established bed of embers, and not the flames, similar to the eye catching pic you threw up.  Most stick it in the flames, catching it on fire, not evenly cooking the center.  She cooks food buried in the fire, spits, DO, flatbreads, she covers it all the way to building a firepit from mud, clay, and straw.  

Plus, her, and her husband's, ingenuity is right up your yankee engineerin' alley.   =)
    She has a step-by-step of building a fire pit with rocks, blueprinted from one her archeological site digs, unearthing an ancient hearth.  Mastering simple, ancient techniques, does up the level of showmanship.  One of the reasons why my favorite chefs are Mallmann and APL.  The charred and scruffed, slashing, beating a fryer with a bottle of wine, board dressing APL.        

The SR CI Tuscan grill is awesome.  I have used mine in the kettle, and over a bed of embers.  The legs screw off for the grill.  Or you can elevate it with bricks, create wind barriers with bricks too.  Some guys use it to grill in their WFOs.  

From the fireplace hearth, kettle, WFO, firepit, DO table, it is a versatile tool.... like Bob Ross' fan brush.
    https://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-Best-Barbecue-Tuscan/dp/B0007ZGUL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1478533572&sr=8-1&keywords=tuscan+grill
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks, Brandon. The book looks interesting. Not a fan of Raichlen, but I do have a spare CI grid and some bolts. Also rocks. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Controversial for some, but note that he says "usually good to let it come to room temperature".