Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Doubke Stall?

Options
Oilpony
Oilpony Posts: 49
im hoping someone can give me some guidance. Yesterday while smoking a brisket, around the 135 degree mark it was like the Brisket went into a stall.  The meat temp did not rise more than four degrees within a 1.5 to two hour time period.  Afterward the temp continued upward until it hit the actual stall period around 155-165.  
I've  had good success in the past but this one threw me for a loop. The brisket ended up being a little dry. 
Here are the particulars:
9.5 lb Prime brisket- HEB
typical rub mixture - salt, pepper, garlic powder etc..
fire: 235-245 degrees
cook time 13 hours
wearher: started off nice very low humidity.  Over night a front blew in, temp dropped to low 50's and it rained off and on but remained damp into the day. 
I started cooking 8:30 pm 
i did wrap the meat in foil when temp hit 175. First time I've wrapped in foil.  
I pulled the meat off at 197 degrees.  
I hope this info willl give those that are really good at smoking Brisket a little better grasp on my situation.   Thank yo in advance 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    If you pulled based on the feel then I don't see anything I would have done differently other than the foil step, but that is a personal preference.  As far as the cooking process goes, my standard default answer, "the friggin cow drives the cook."  Was the entire brisket dry or just the thinner parts of the flat, as sometimes that will happen despite your best efforts.  All above just an opinion...and we all know what that's worth.  Sometimes $hit happens.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Oilpony
    Options
    **** happens!  Truer words have never been spoken.  It was pretty dry all over but not so much to where you wanted to trash it.  
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I'm surprised by the near-total dry assessment.  If nothing else the high fat content of the point should save that part of the cow from drying out.  But every cook is an adventure-that's what makes brisket cooks so much fun.  Onward and upward for the next one.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.