Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saved my brisket cook with CPR!

Started with a 14 lb. packer brisket from Costco.  Note the price...$2.49/lb.  for USDA Choice.  WOW!!  I'll take it!

Before the cook, I completely cleaned the Egg; took all ceramic out and used my shop-vac.

I have no fancy rigs or setup here, just used the basic ceramic platesetter with a few hickory chips.  I feel like lump alone gives a nice smoke profile but that's just me.  Used BGE lump.  

After trimming and applying MeatChurch holy cow rub I put her on at 2 PM at a steady 250F.  I was fully expecting the brisket to be done in the morning or at some point during the night while I slept.  I use an iGrill bluetooth thermometer so I had it set to alert me at 200F internal (flat).  Never got woke up.  Got real worried.  I went out to check on things at 0700 and my Egg temp was down to 150.  My internal temp was at 165; it was still in the stall!  

Hadn't experience this before but clearly my fire was out.  I opened up the vent on the bottom all the way as well as the Daisy wheel.  I began giving rescue breaths ( =)) to my Egg through the bottom vent and luckily was able to get the fire stoked again.  Egg temp rose to 300F, a little higher than I wanted, but at least it was cooking the meat again.  Took off a couple hours later with an IT of 213F.  A little high for me and it was fall apart done.  Tasted EXCELLENT!  Next time, I'll have to be more careful about using bigger lump pieces on the bottom.  

Here's some pics:

Large BGE (May 2016)  =)
Former Traeger Owner  :o 
Elk Grove, CA

Comments

• Nice job @ra1nman967 with reviving the brisket cook especially for that Prime meat.  As you know, brisket is one of the more difficult cooks.  I reviewed a lot of forum tips and YouTube videos before I was comfortable with my first packer.  I was lucky and it turned out much better than expected despite the steep learning curve.  My wife, who typically doesn't like anything too fat, even liked it and wanted me to make more in the near future.  The more we practice (and eat), the better we will be.
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
    Washington, DC Metro Area
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Great recovery as noted above.  Any brisket cook is about the most fun you can have with the BGE for all the hidden pit-falls that can come along well before firing it up and with the cook as well.
    That's a great deal for prime brisket, even at Costco.  Running around $2.99/lb here.
    I would offer the following insight going forward-brisket is one of those cooks that really is "feel dependent" for the finish.  Thickest part of the flat is the source for the feel and most will finish in the low 200's*F but some will be out-liers and declare victory in the 190's.  You can start checking early so as not to miss the promised land.  FWIW-
    I'm sure all enjoyed that beef banquet goodness.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @Star_TrEGG -  since you have the SWMBO green light for more brisket cooks, I always fire one up the Sunday after Turkey day to purge the turkey hang-over. A great way to experience a different meat-coma.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @lousubcap That's a great idea!  It's on my calendar now.  Hope the local Restaurant Depot has the Angus packer brisket at $2.99/lb again.
    BGE Large, MiniMax & Mini; Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" & E-310 natural gas; CyberQ Cloud; Flame Boss 200; ThermoWorks Smoke & Thermopen Mk4
    Washington, DC Metro Area
  • ra1nman967 when you say be more careful about bigger pieces on the bottom...did you not have large pieces on this cook, or did and it was an issue? Thanks

Tampa, FL
  • @dbennett561i just meant that I didn't pay attention to make sure there were larger pieces at the bottom.  I just dumped the lump in without any organization 
    Large BGE (May 2016)  =)
    Elk Grove, CA

• PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Next time use two probes, one for the brisket and one for the grate

Dunno about the iGrill, but the Maverick can be programmed with a specific range of temp for the grate, so the alarm sounds if the temp goes above or beyond that temp range.

It looks quite nice that brisket,though!
  • @PSC you're absolutely right.  In fact, do you have the et-732 or 733?  Happy with it?  What's the approximate range for the receiver?
    Large BGE (May 2016)  =)
    Elk Grove, CA

• PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    @PSC you're absolutely right.  In fact, do you have the et-732 or 733?  Happy with it?  What's the approximate range for the receiver?
    ra1nman967 I bought the 733

pretty happy with it.
    the range is good. I've used it 36 feet away, in another floor and with a concrete wall in between with zero probs
  • @PSC perfect, thanks.  Yeah I'd picture myself using it about the same distance away and upstairs between stucco.  Sounds like it'll work fine.  Thanks again.
    Large BGE (May 2016)  =)
    Elk Grove, CA