Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Rut

Options
I'm in a bit of a cooking rut.  What do you folks cook when you feel bored with same old stuff?
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Sometimes I just boil a pot of water!!!!
    Bravo sir Bravo
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    google images helps alot, did that a few weeks ago with stuffed pork loin and found one with olives and sundried tomatoes, a take ive never seen before, there was also one there with crab, gruyere cheese and capers ive been thinking about. pictures pull you into new cooks better than seeing a recipe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Seriously, I'm in the same boat. The wife is trying to eat healthy so that rut is getting deeper. I bought a taco book and a tortilla press the other day to get out of the rut. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I try to cook something completely new to me when this happens.  The more involved the better.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Way back when both my wife and I were working stiffs we got in the habit of planning our menus for the following 7 days every Sunday. That meant for variety, what to buy or thaw and who was cooking. Now 12 years after retirement we still adhere to this practice and love it! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Seriously, I'm in the same boat. The wife is trying to eat healthy so that rut is getting deeper. I bought a taco book and a tortilla press the other day to get out of the rut. 
    Same here.. I just realized I have ribs out for the weekend.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am in a rut as well...honestly I have just not been cooking much at all lately. My wife is doing weight watchers, which pretty much makes me "doing weight watchers" too.  I realize there are many healthy things I could cook on the egg. However, it sort of takes all the fun out of it when you have to add up all the "points" for things like oil, butter, bacon, etc. Most nights we just eat some deli turkey and shove carrots and broccoli in our face holes until the hunger pains stop.  Also I am starving myself so I have points left for a cocktail at night. 

Next week my grill is to make different kinds of fish and grilled veggies on the egg at least a few nights.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    What's your preferred wood to use? It's very important to get the smoke on the water!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    theres always the book store, last time there i bought a thai cooking book and one for simple french bistro. the thai book was an eye opener
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    maso said:
    What's your preferred wood to use? It's very important to get the smoke on the water!

I have found this to have the best flavor profile..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I think we all go there from time to time. 

The weather getting cooler (finally) here in ATL tomorrow inspired a dutch oven pot roast cook for tomorrow but have no clue what to cook tonight.

I do have a couple of leftover burgers from last night I could nuke, I guess, speaking of ruts. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Make really boring stuff. Open cans of Chef Boy-ar-dee. Pasta-roni w. tuna. etc. After which, everything else seems so very tasty.

Alternatively, go ethnic. Tried (and failed miserably) to make some Oaxacan black mole to go w. pork. Came across a really good borscht recipe that used spare rib meat and a splash of vinegar. Used white beets. Was able to make a decent pair of stuffed cornish hens from a recipe from the Pok Pok Thai restaurant.
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I was in pretty much the same condition, probably a couple of years ago.  In desperation I turned to a Greek cook book from a restaurant called Kokkari and started going though it, adapting the recipes as I came to them, to kamado style cooking. From the Greek  recipes  I moved into  the Med and started going through Ottolenghi's cook books, and then on to Mario Batali's stuff. Lots of fun trying to cook traditional kitchen recipes on the Egg. Give it a shot, I still cook the BBQ classics now and then but this experience has really given variety to what I cook on the Egg. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Same here.. I just realized I have ribs out for the weekend.. 
    I've got some that I'm throwing on after lunch and I'm just meh about it. Rib meat tacos sounds interesting though. Hmmmm. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The change in seasons, helps me out, you need to move back to IL.  ;)

New toys help too.  Scored a deep dish baker and cloche for 12 bucks.  Looking forward to trying that in my oven, and egg this winter.

Doing venison lasagna for Thanksgiving in my dad's oven.  

There's an Indian cookbook on my radar that cali referenced some time back.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Try foodgawker. They have a search function than lets you search by ingredient, or multiple ingredients. Shows a pic of the finished dish which is a link to the recipe.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Focker said:
    The change in seasons helps me out, you need to move back to IL.  ;)

New toys help too.  Scored a deep dish baker and cloche for 12 bucks.  Looking forward to trying that in my oven, and egg this winter.

This. Stew, soup, and roast time FTW
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Focker said:
    The change in seasons helps me out, you need to move back to IL.  ;)

This. Stew, soup, and roast time FTW
    Hail yeah!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    theres always the book store, last time there i bought a thai cooking book and one for simple french bistro. the thai book was an eye opener
    Exactly what I was going to suggest.

Alternatively, one could cruise YouTube for cooking videos.

I'm a big fan of this Argentinian fellow - Locos X el Asado. Discovered their videos about a year and a half ago. - https://www.youtube.com/user/locosxelasado/videos

Being Argentine their videos focus mostly on meat. My Spanish sucks but I can follow along fairly well.

I made some of these a couple weeks ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF3Y_c0k7Eo

For something different, I really enjoy Vietnamese food and this Australian series - Luke Nguyen's Vietnam - was on cable last year but it seems many of the episodes are available on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF3Y_c0k7Eo

In that video be sure to check out the size of the lump the street vendor sells at the 8:00 minute mark.

Another option is to just eat at Taco Bell for an entire week and that should snap one out of their cooking rut funk. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I am in a food cooking rut right now.  Kind of tired of BBQ after spending time out at the American Royal helping my BIL compete.  Trying to figure out something to cook this weekend.  May cure a pork lone roast to be ham and do a trial for Thanksgiving.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Whooops...just noticed I pasted the wrong link from my clipboard.

Here's the link to the Locos X el Asado stuff I made a couple weeks ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZH3UuowNdY
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm usually able to find some inspiration on the Saveur website. Fine Cooking has a good website as well. Both are free.

www.saveur.com
    www.finecooking.com

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,390
    Options
    @Ladeback69 -  care to share any insider tips from the event?  Realize the menu was a standard Q fare but the approaches had to spread across the board.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Ladeback69 -  care to share any insider tips from the event?  Realize the menu was a standard Q fare but the approaches had to spread across the board.  
    This year it was at the Kansas Speedway and for the teams it was awesome for getting into the infield and my BIL's location was less then 2 minutes from the turn in location.  This year Smithfield was a major sponsor and SRF was as well.  They had representatives from both to help hand out awards.  I was there for the party's on Friday night and on Sunday for the open competition.  Friday night was a lot of fun and the weather was fantastic, mid 70's with a nice breeze.  It was a little cooler for the open comp, it didn't really get to 60, but wasn't as bad as last year.  There were 557 competitors, my BIL finished 332.  He wasn't to happy.  He did better last year, but there is some really tough competition.  The team that took it all was Iowa's Smokin D's.  They killed it and it was easy to figure out they were the winner.  They had teams from over 50 states and 11 different country's.  A team from Ireland was sitting behind us at the awards ceremony.  They were a hoot to listen to.  I asked them if they prefer Jameson or Dewar's whiskey and they all said Jameson very fast.  One said he only uses Dewar's to polish his boots.  We believed it was a hit a the race track.  Apparently the AR is moving to Kansas on a permanent biases soon.  They are going to build a new 160 million dollar facility to do it all.  People aren't happy about it, but the Mayor of KCMO doesn't seem to care.  That part isn't great, but they need a new place.

Is there anything in particular you want to know about? 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Stewed Tomato and Okra sandwiches on white bread. Bring you right out of that rut.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I'm there with you. Egg hasn't been lit for close to a month since my big Mac n cheese cook Plus I am literally starving myself trying to drop a few. Like eating disorder level starving but that is the only thing that seems to work. 
    But the wife is away tomorrow night visiting friends so the boys and I will be doing pizzas on the BGE and movie night. That should help. 

I find that the weather is a problem too. Cool and wet and I haven't resigned to winter coming yet. I suspect I need to make sausage or do a brisket or something big. But maybe a few apps would be good too. I actually come here for inspiration most of the time. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Honestly when I get sick of the same old stuff, try to  tweak my skills.   Last year I started making my own sausage, variety of different ways to flavor it. a lot of fun to to work on your seasoning game. This year I'm starting to get bored again but it's deer season so that will take my mind off things   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    So far I've been able to keep a good variety from people's cooks I see here. Finishing up a week here at Disney and have tons of ideas from here as well. There is duck in my future for sure. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM