Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Custom Adapter For Bbq Guru Temp Controllers

Options
I own a Party Q which is part of the BBQ Guru family, that being said, I've never been to happy with both quality and fit of the adapter plate, that they charge an additional $25 dollars for - for the price you pay for one of their temp controllers, shouldn't that be included.

I had some time to kill at work one afternoon and decided to set out to 'build a better mousetrap' ..

This is my early prototype - I got rid of the adjustable slider and added a plate that could be tightened by adjustable slot screws.

It made no sense to me that the Guru plate is not rounded to the shape of the lower vent door. I also extended my new adapter to be able to slide under the sliding door - once the tension is tightened and the door is slide to the left, the new adapter plate holds my Party Q tight and secure.

Cost for the entire project was under Six dollars and about 10 hours of hands on labor during the course of 4 days. By the way this same adapter also fits the Pitmaster IQ temp controller.
I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Looks good, Tim! Pretty air tight now I take it? 

BTW just being nosey what is the jack holding up to the left of the last picture?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    RRP said:

BTW just being nosey what is the jack holding up to the left of the last picture?
    Hi Ron, yes .. the egg is VERY airtight now, also I'm restoring a 55 Chevy Bel Air. It's almost done!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    RRP said:

Hi Ron, yes .. the egg is VERY airtight now, also I'm restoring a 55 Chevy Bel Air. It's almost done!
    55 WOWSER! Any blog on it or pictures you will share? Total restore or any mods? Paint plans? 55 is my era don'tchaknow! My parents had a 56 4 door that I loved dearly .
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,112
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Nice mod!  $6 in parts + $1250 labor :)

I am joking of course, making mods is its own enjoyment for sure!!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I like it...
    BBQ Guru might need to step it up. Lots of new controllers hitting the market.
    The adapter plate seems like a weak link to most of the controllers on the market.
    I have units from 3 different companys. None of them fit very well. But then again, the lower vents on the BGEs are less than perfect in consistency and fit.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas