Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DiSpatched

Options
Thanks, once again, to the collective knowledge on this forum. I'm a newbie and did my first spatchcock chicken tonight along with some sides. I would never have known to have the chicken in the fridge uncovered overnight to dry the skin a bit - worked perfectly. Dry rub this morning. 350 cook and made a gametime decision to go indirect because of XL and full batch of lump - even with Woo Ring worried the bird might be too close to fire. Did Brussels Sprouts with shallots in cast iron on BGE. Mashed sweet potato as another side. Perfect Fall meal. My poulder crapped out so need another 'leave in' thermometer, but my instant read was operating so was able to pull at 165 breast / 185 thigh. Rested for fifteen. Thanks to all of you who share your wisdom - makes the journey more fruitful and the families happier.

Comments

• VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    Oh man, sit tight and enjoy this ride. Never let your cooks be stressful and take all the advice from this forum!!  Great cook btw. 
    VA Beach
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Great cook.  Next time consider putting the bird on the sprouts. The drippings will add a nice flavor. 
  • StuckInStLouis
    Options
    Great suggestion. I guess I'd quarter the bird? I'll do that. I also want to try going direct - although the skin was crispy perfection and the meat was tender. Can't complain how this trial run turned out.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Love that spatchcock. Very nice job. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California