Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

clean burn daisy wheel?

Options
anyone put their daisy wheel in their egg during a clean burn? my daisy wheel has some serious crud build up and was wondering if this would hurt it.
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,294
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm guessing you likely won't hurt it, but that you'll certainly nuke all seasoning from the cast iron. When I wanted to clean my daisy wheel, I rubbed it with a scouring pad, throughly dried it, then seasoned it (coated it with Crisco and baked at 350 for an hour). Came out looking better than new.
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    When mine gets to the point I can't turn the dial, I burn it off. No problems yet. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    When mine gets craptastic I stick it in the egg and put the ceramic cap on, at the end of the cook. Do that a few times, then knock the crap off with a stick. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I stuck it in on after making pizza.  Kept the fire going at about 550F for about 2-2.5 hrs.  Took it off, closed down the egg, and after the wheel cooled, applied crisco, put back in the egg which at that point was about 450'ish?  Maybe 400?  Don't know....  Came out great. Just like new. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Mine is due for a good cleaning.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    i actually put mine in the egg everytime i shut it down
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Do you put it in the egg after shutting down? I started doing it because i had no place to store it

found that it keeps it clean and seasoned, and gummed enough to be air tight while never really getting too dirty

haven't cleaned since i bought the BGE
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Do you put it in the egg after shutting down? I started doing it because i had no place to store it

found that it keeps it clean and seasoned, and gummed enough to be air tight while never really getting too dirty

haven't cleaned since i bought the BGE
    I have since the first cook, never cleaned or had rust.  Once in awhile I give it a spay of Pam if I have the can handy.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Why does seasoning matter on the daisy wheel?  This is an exit point of air much more so than an entry point. That wheel can't possibly have any effect on taste. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Why does seasoning matter on the daisy wheel?  This is an exit point of air much more so than an entry point. That wheel can't possibly have any effect on taste. 
    'Seasoning' is a layer of fat that keeps cast iron from rust. Unassociated with flavor/seasoning

Just as the seasoning in a cast iron pan has nothing to do with flavor either

basically, cleaning, burning, periodic painting of the daisy (which does not come from manufacturer painted to begin with) is not necessary. ...if what you want is a functional, black, non-rusted daisy. 

But if a person likes to make work for themselves, have at it
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    See.....my signature is still very accurate with my questions!!! 

Going back to reminding myself how how green I still am. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't think there would be a problem with doing a clean burn.  I would just spray it with PAM after you are finished if it seems bare.

...but I agree that simply storing it in the egg when you shut down each time is the way to go. It will keep it maintenance free. If it is really cruddy then a little extra burn might be good. You may not want it "too clean", like Darby said a little gumminess is good because it keeps it from flying open every time you open the egg.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.