Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips for cooking bone in ribeye

Options

When I have cooked boneless steaks, I normally heat the egg up to 650, cook 2 minutes on each side then shut it down and let the meat cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, any suggestions on how I would cook a steak with bone in?  Is using the same method I would assume just longer times but not sure how long.

Comments

• MelSharples
    Options
    I'm going to assume its a pretty thick cut. I like to cook thicker cuts using the reverse sear method. Basically, you cook indirect until the meat reaches the desired temp then take it off and let it rest. While it is resting, remove the plate setter, open the vents, and get the egg rocket hot. Once your at 600+ sear the steak for 30-60 seconds per side.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    that 'dwell' method (shutting down all vents) is problematic, especially with rib eyes, because the dying fire gives off the worst smoke, and that smoke has no where to go, and so lands on the meat.

i'd suggest any other method.  but they are all about cooking it in two stages: one to get it to temperature, and one to sear (can be done in either order).

you'll get a bunch of replies advocating a number of them.  hang tight.