Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First fire and cook in my new BGE Large - Quick question

Options
kdatrio
kdatrio Posts: 22

So I am new to the group and from the clean Egg you can tell this is my first fire going. Made a quick Pork Tenderloin for the wife and I. Keeping it below 350 for the seal, but had an issue in the beginning where it jumped to 475 - 495 for a little while (I am still learning control. Why do I need to keep it below 350 for the first two cooks and do I need to worry that I jumped a little this time?

Thanks and I look forward to many years and meals on this Egg.
##############################################################
"I guess I have drank the kool-aid, hmmmm I bet kool-aid would taste good on the BGE"

1 - LBGE, 1 - "almost" retired gas grill
Post office says Alexander, AR - but really in Avilla, AR

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You don't need to keep it below 350*, don't worry, be happy.

Welcome to the cult, lock up your wallet.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You are fine. First few cooks are about your gasket protection is all. If you can't think of enough to cook at those temps, just burn and practice temp control. No meat at risk and you break it in and gain a good amount of knowledge. 

Welcome aboard. Great great people around here. You are in for some amazing food and great times!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,500
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    You are in the right place to get all your questions answered.  You will find that there are often many different solutions to your query and all will work.  
    No issue with the temp spike.  I have been told that the temp limits are to help seal the gaskets but that process will likely become problematic down the road.
    Looking too clean and that will change as well.  Above all, have fun!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kdatrio
    kdatrio Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses...I appreciate all the quick help. Now to put my deck furniture back on since my wife made me stain the deck and that has delayed the second cook on the Egg...lol
    ##############################################################
    "I guess I have drank the kool-aid, hmmmm I bet kool-aid would taste good on the BGE"

1 - LBGE, 1 - "almost" retired gas grill
    Post office says Alexander, AR - but really in Avilla, AR

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    If you did not read about it already, remember to burp the egg before opening. Flashing is very real. Even with burping I have gotten to enjoy that experience already. Needless to say, my wife was watching when it happened so now she won't go near the egg. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California