Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Piri Piri Chicken Wings

Options
MrWigan
MrWigan Posts: 104
I'm loving the Sous Vide/Egg Combo at the moment.  I tried out some chicken wings over the weekend.  

Put them in Piri Piri spices and then in the water bath for 2 hours at 64C.

Got the Egg to 200C and through them onto crisp them up for about 10 minutes

Painted them with some Nando's Piri Piri HOT sauce and then served them up.

Lessons learnt, leave them on Egg for longer for crispier skin as a few could have been better.  

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,366
    Options
    Nice!

I go thru a LOT of Nando's Peri Peri sauces. Mostly their garlic sauce.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    what did the bag look like post sous vide? Does a lot of the fat render?

I've thought about this method since I used to frequently use the Alton Brown steam then bake technique in my pre-egg days.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• MrWigan
    Options
    Plutonium said:
    what did the bag look like post sous vide? Does a lot of the fat render?

I've thought about this method since I used to frequently use the Alton Brown steam then bake technique in my pre-egg days.
    There was a little bit of fat in the bag but I didn't really pay that much attention.

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    looks great...was there a reason to only SV at 64C? That is only about 147 degrees. SV at a higher temp would render more fat?
    Not criticizing, asking because I don't know.
    Thanks
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MrWigan
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    looks great...was there a reason to only SV at 64C? That is only about 147 degrees. SV at a higher temp would render more fat?
    Thanks
    I just followed the recipe on the Anova website.  About 5 recipes all said 64...  Never thought of increasing the temp for removing fat.  I pretty much poured the wings out of the bags onto the Egg so any fat would have hit the charcoal and given some good flavoured smoke.

At least that was my theory and it worked quite well...

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

• J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Thanks
    147 is perfect for chicken, IME.   They just need to be super dry before searing if you want crispy. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    J-dubya said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Thanks
    147 is perfect for chicken, IME.   They just need to be super dry before searing if you want crispy. 
    Was not questioning the fact that 147 is safe or done. Just asking if cooking "wings" SV at a higher temp would render more fat?
    I would never think of doing a chicken breast higher than 147.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    J-dubya said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Thanks
    Was not questioning the fact that 147 is safe or done. Just asking if cooking "wings" SV at a higher temp would render more fat?
    I would never think of doing a chicken breast higher than 147.
    It's a good question - again for me it wouldn't be worth it anyway.    But, I think I would consider a longer time versus a higher temp if my goal was to render more fat - obviously with beef we are talking about rendering fat on/in the muscle (and breaking down collagen), but here, with chicken, we are talking about the skin. 

My concern with a higher temp would also be that the wings would literally fall apart.