Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Spatchcock

Options
Whole chickens were on sale so I figured I'd finally try to spatchcock one. Cutting the bone out was surprisingly easy.  I rubbed it with Dizzy dust and it cooked at 350* for about 90 minutes. 

Skin came out a little chewey, but the meat was perfect. Next time I'll plan ahead so I can leave it in the fridge for longer to dry the skin and I see a purchase from CGS in my near future so that I can raise the grid. 

Large BGE
Huntsville, AL

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Bird looks fine to me. Chicken skin is the tough part of getting it perfect.

Nice cook! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Yep. I bet grid and no fridge did it. I do both and always get crispy now. The fridge is the bigger key in my opinion. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    It looks real good. Bump up the temp by 25-50 degrees and raise it a little higher in dome if you can
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Yeah, 375-400 raised direct for 45-55 minutes. 

Leave it in the fridge 24 to let dry, it'll fix all your problems. 

Nice liberal application of that Dizzy...

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    I was actually surprised by 350*. The egg seemed to stabilize at 380* but once I put the bird on it settled at 350*. Next time I'll just shoot for 400* so I'm ok even if I get the drop again. 

I did 4 hours in the fridge since buying the bird was such an impulse. Now that I know how easy it is, I'll plan better for next time and get longer in the fridge. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I just pat dry the bird with a paper towel before I apply the rub.  I don't like leaving raw chicken in my frig. 
    Dave - Austin, TX