Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza - Cast Iron Pizza Pan

Options
EggNorth
EggNorth Posts: 1,535
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
Had this cast iron pizza pan for a while and fried everything in it and finally decided it was time to try pizza.   Always make my own dough (The Pizza Bible) and pizza sauce.

I'm getting more away from the pizza stone as I find it browns too fast, I like my pizza toppings a little on the well done side.  

Also stopped using the dough hook on the kitchen aid and started using the flat beater to mix the dough and then manually kneading the dough which I find gives me much better results with working with the dough later.

I make a starter which sits on the counter for a day, then the pizza dough which sits in the fridge for 1 + days (2 days here)

Made the pizza in the cold cast iron pan, which was buttered.

This was about 5 minutes in, just decided to get the camera and the pizza started rising.

And the end result

One of our best pizzas, will be doing it like this for a while.   

Thanks for looking.
Dave
Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)

Comments

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Nice looking pie right there!
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    That's looks incredible. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options

Great looking Pizza, if you want to use the stone get it higher in the dome than what you show in your picture and the toppings and cheese will brown up very nice. I use a Roswell Rig that allows for two pizzas at the same time and gets very high in the dome.

http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/roswell-double-pizza-rig

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    It's early here....crack a couple of eggs on it and I'm in....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Options
    Looks great!!!   How'd the bottom turn out??
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    That looks great!! I wish I could make my own dough. All I end up making is a mess.
  • EggNorth
    Options
    55drum said:
    Looks great!!!   How'd the bottom turn out??
    Came out great, had crunch but yet it was soft.  Did not get a picture but it did pass the pizza bend test (hold pizza at crust and it bends without toppings falling off)
    Dave
  • EggNorth
    Options
    Gunnar said:
    It's early here....crack a couple of eggs on it and I'm in....
    Never tried eggs on a pizza, but it sounds and looks interesting, I see the forum heading pizza has eggs.  I would have to add Canadian bacon also  :D
    Dave
  • EggNorth
    Options

Great looking Pizza, if you want to use the stone get it higher in the dome than what you show in your picture and the toppings and cheese will brown up very nice. I use a Roswell Rig that allows for two pizzas at the same time and gets very high in the dome.

http://smokeware.com/collections/grill-accessories/products/roswell-double-pizza-rig

That looks like a great way to get two pizzas on, when I cook pizza I usually have to make up to 5.  i usually use the stone, but just to finish up and the pie and it's only on there for a few minutes.   2 of those 5 pies do not like crunchy pizza at all.

Dave
  • gtcharlie
    Options
    Wow.  Looks delicious.   I use my cast iron pizza pan mostly for smashburgers and steaks.   Going to have to actually try pizza on it.  :)
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nice Pie......you have the right spirit to try improve your methods......
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    Thanks, you just gave me a great idea.  I have a Lodge Dutch oven with the top that doubles as a skillet-----while a bit smaller, it would make a great pizza pan vehicle as you have done there.  Never even thought about using it for that as I have always used my stone.
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    Google "cast iron pizza pan" and find one that fits on your egg. I use the 14" Lodge with handles, and mine just fits on my LBGE - handles add ~3" to the width.  Better yet would be a 1/2" thick carbon steel round chunk of metal that fits your egg but that would get pricey.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Better yet would be a 1/2" thick carbon steel round chunk of metal that fits your egg but that would get pricey.
    I have a steel yard near me that sells cut-offs and scrap steel for $1/lb. My 1/4" baking steel cost me about $12 as I recall. A 1/2" piece would have been only $24, but overkill. 1/4 is fine. Find a scrap metal dealer.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    Eggnorth has it right. Making the dough the day before and cook on Cast Iron is the Best way to cook pizza. Put on Egg for 7 minutes, turn for 7 more at 450 degrees. No 600-800 degrees. 
    The Best. Platesetter legs up. No need for an adjustable rig, parchment paper or anything else
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • jeffc5227
    jeffc5227 Posts: 131
    Options
    Looks perfect thanks for the inspiration.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I use this when I put the Pizza on the egg.  https://shop.lodgemfg.com/bakeware/cast-iron-baking-pan-14.asp?

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    Had this cast iron pizza pan for a while and fried everything in it and finally decided it was time to try pizza.   Always make my own dough (The Pizza Bible) and pizza sauce.

I'm getting more away from the pizza stone as I find it browns too fast, I like my pizza toppings a little on the well done side.  

Also stopped using the dough hook on the kitchen aid and started using the flat beater to mix the dough and then manually kneading the dough which I find gives me much better results with working with the dough later.

I make a starter which sits on the counter for a day, then the pizza dough which sits in the fridge for 1 + days (2 days here)

This was about 5 minutes in, just decided to get the camera and the pizza started rising.

And the end result

Thanks for looking.
    What's under your cast iron?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    njl said:
    EggNorth said:

And the end result

Thanks for looking.
    What's under your cast iron?
    That there is green egg feet
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @njl those are the feet that used to come with the big green egg.  They were meant to go under the egg like this. Have been replaced with the table nest. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.