Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Samrtfire BBQ Temp Controller

Options
Texag06ish
Texag06ish Posts: 135
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
http://smartfirebbq.com/

Has anyone heard of or tried this product? Looks promising. 

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I haven't heard of it before but I agree it looks promising.  After buying the kit and the adapter it is about $250 USD, which I think is less expensive than anything else out there that can do wifi remote monitoring.  I like the fact that it is self contained.  My only concern would be that it could get too hot right in the bottom vent like that. I wonder if they might have issues with electronics failing due to high temperature.  They actually mention this on the FAQ below. I think it would be fine at the start of a cook, but in the egg you often get a bed of burning embers that have fallen through the grate.

Is it heatproof?

No! Smartfire Controller cases are resistant to 130C / 266F. This means the plastic shouldn't bend if exposed to brief high temperatures. The electronics inside are resistant to roughly 65C / 150F. So, folk should take care that there is no burning fuel close to the adaptor outlet as the heat and/or live charcoal may affect the unit. It's advised to use a water pan or even a wire barrier on the inside to keep charcoal a few inches from the adaptor outlet on the inside of the pit. WSM's round charcoal grate is perfect for this, other suggestions currently include a DIY chicken wire in a 2" square shape that sits internally in the pit to keep charcoal safely away.

Summary being, Smartfire is reasonably heat proof but show sensible caution to keep the Smartfire 6" away from direct burning fuel and highly recommended to be below the fire grate to avoid rising hot air.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

the thing i don't like is that the fan is housed in the same unit as the controls.  what do you do when the fan dies?

side note - this is running on a particle photon, which is a $20 (retail) microcontroller with built in wifi.  i've got a few of them and love them.  i'd love to get my hands on the smartfire and tear it down and look inside!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,352
    Options
    blind99 said:

the thing i don't like is that the fan is housed in the same unit as the controls.  what do you do when the fan dies?

I'm guessing it's not too difficult to open it up and swap it out.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk