Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermometer

what's a good thermometer replacement for the BGE?
 Out of curiosity I tested six different thermometers in my big green egg (2) factory thermos, (1) oil thermo, (2)  bed bath and beyond digital thermos and my digiq dx2..
 All the digitals were within 5° of each other.
 The two factory and oil thermo all had a variance of  30° -  90°.
 They were calibrated in boiling water, but don't seem to be accurate above  350°.

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Just buy this one. No reason to look for anything else. It is big and easy to read. Plus I think it looks cool. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • What's the warranty on this thermo?  I didn't see it on their website. Also, I guess it has permanent calibration? 
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    It was $30. I didn't bother to check the warranty on it. I don't believe it is permanently calibrated. I don't pay too much attention to fine details when I buy stuff that's under $50, or recommended by friends/people I trust, and it was recommended by @stlcharcoal
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California