Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baked Potato, Lo-und-Slow?

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,429
I've got about 3 hours left on some St. Louis ribs, and had picked up a couple Russets for a side.  Has anyone made Baked Potatoes at 220 F?  I searched all three pages of the "Vegetable" sub-forum and found only one thread on baked potatoes, and he cooked them at 300.  
I can certainly fire up my Small to 400 and use that (part of the reason I have it) but would like to know if 220 would work, and about how long they took?  Thanks in advance!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Should work fine but will just take 2 hrs or so. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I know these are not for baked taters but these ran at 275° for 2 1/2hrs till they were tender enough for a potato salad 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • The potato doesn't care what temp as lpng as it gets to 200-205
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Thanks guys.  Only hit 190 after three hours (I finished it in the microwave) and it was fine.  I might try cooking the other one on the Small at 400 tomorrow for lunch, just to see if I can tell any difference.  
    No pix, but the ribs were some of the best I've done so far (I have trouble with them) 4.5 hours at 230, then I took them off, kicked the grill up to 400, sauced 'em, and back in for another 30 minutes indirect.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I do it a lot on L&S. Get the color you want on the spuds and then foil. Pull once they're tender. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL