Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table question

Options
 Has anyone build a table for their egg out of steel and welded everything together?
 Seems like all the tables I see on this website are made out of wood.  Are the tables made out of wood just for looks or is there another purpose behind it?
XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Just checked my toolbox. Hammer, nails, screws, saw...check.
    Welder...nope.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Lol
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    Not sure if you have a table already or not, if not make sure that's what fits your needs.  I had one built and after about two weeks picked up a nest. 
    VA Beach
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
     I have a table made out of wood and I thought I posted pictures on here of it three years ago but for some reason I can't find the thread 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I think it's more of a build of convenience. Just about anyone can go to lowes and give a cut list or grab lumber, but not everyone has a welding machine in the garage. 

Also, rust is a major issue with steel. Unless your coatings are PERFECT, you are going to see rust quickly. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I just built three tables out of steel for my eggs. I chose to use diamond plate aluminum for the tops for cost and weight savings. Our dry climate and temperature extremes are hard on wood. I felt like they would last longer this way. I still have to fabricate the drawers under the eggs. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Dang, that's a nice looking table setup!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Damnnnnn that is nice!!
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
     Can you give me the specifications on the table with the two eggs on it?

What size tubing did you use?
     What is the wall thickness of the tubing?
     What is the thickness of the diamond plate?

• Vegas Eggus
    Options
    In my neighborhood about 9 months a year would subject me to second or third degree burns if I placed my hand on a steel table. 
  • BilZol
    Options
     Can you give me the specifications on the table with the two eggs on it?

What size tubing did you use?
     What is the wall thickness of the tubing?
     What is the thickness of the diamond plate?

I used 2X2 16g tubing. 1/8 diamond plate for horizontal pieces, 1/16 for side cladding. The dimensions were based off the BGE plans so I could find covers for them. All the steel was welded then I used rivets for the aluminum. The tubing was cut 23" and 28". Legs 28". Egg side horizontal pieces 23". Other side 28" left to right pieces, 23" deep pieces. That made the frame 27x57". Top has 1/2" overhang on all sides. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Awesome.  Do you have any additional pictures that shows your process?  Would like to see what the frame looks like without the diamond plate attached to it 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Every time I see those pictures of those tables @bilzol I begins to dream about having them!!!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • BilZol
    Options
    Awesome.  Do you have any additional pictures that shows your process?  Would like to see what the frame looks like without the diamond plate attached to it 
    I switched phones twice while building them and will have to see if my kids can recover some pics for me. I didn't really take too many though. Didn't really have a process either, I winged it. Tape measure, speed square, clamps, coffee, and cussing. I prolly made up a few new words actually. I could make better sense in a phone convo. Pm me and we can come up with a good time for both of us if you want. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    Every time I see those pictures of those tables @bilzol I begins to dream about having them!!!
    If you lived close by I'd come over and help you build em. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    BilZol said:
    If you lived close by I'd come over and help you build em. 
    He could have a side job, I want one too
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr.