Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I like mixed nuts...

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
and I cannot lie. 

Had to take something to a party so I mixed 2 lbs of almonds, 2 lbs of cashews, 1 lb hazelnuts, 1 lb Brazil nuts, 1 lb walnut halves and 1 lb peanuts. Smoked with apple for 3 hrs at 275 to roast the nuts and then spiced. 
Blended salt, pepper corns, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin seed, paprika, coriander and a generous amount of homemade smoked cayenne in the spice grinder until it was dust. Doused the nuts with hazelnut oil, tossed with spices and took them to the party. They were well received. Terrible picture but they're just nuts.  
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Ohh I see what you did there. 

How long do these stay good? I did a small batch last year around Christmas and they went quick. I was thinking about doing a few big batches before late winter when the price spikes on nuts. 

I was was thinking of vacuum sealing them and storing them at room temp but I wasn't sure how they hold up after being cooked. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    No idea how long they stay good. They never last long. I usually just do almonds and they are gone in a week. I would expect that vacuum sealing would be best like you said. Removing the oxygen would be the key in keeping them fresh. 

And I can't comment on US nut prices but almonds here are like 9 bucks a lb so I don't do them often. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.