Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick lump/adding/lighting question

Options
Not sure how to address my issue and the search didn't help. I'm finishing up 2 butts on the egg and I need to add 2 more. Problem is I don't have enough lump to finish the next 2. Can I just dump in more and let it clear/stabilize? Should I light it on top? Or should I snuff the fire after these 2 come off and wait till fire goes out and then add? Any help is appreciate.
Snellville, GA

Comments

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I can't see how adding more lump would cause any issue.  I would try to place it more than dump it, so it does not snuff it out and you can control it's placement better, but by doing that, I can't see how it would be any different than it going to new lump during a burn.......of course, TWIW as base don our post count, I have as much experience at this egging thing as you do!  LOL  I would keep a close eye on the temp to make sure it doesn't suddenly get too hot.....shall see if the pro's here agree or not........
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I'd dump it in and let it clear before you put the new butts on. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Thank you fellows. I know the lump burns from the top down so should I light it on top or let it burn from bottom up. It's an overnight cook otherwise I would just babysit it. 
    Snellville, GA

• tikigriller
    Options

What about moving what is left off to the side, and lump, then move the lit lump to the top?  (Not sure how much you have left if this is even a feasible idea)

For the sake of sleep. might make more sense to snuff it out, then start over and remove the guess work.....

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I think that's what I will do is snuff the fire. I will add a pot of ice water and maybe that will help. Thanks for the replies fellows. 
    Snellville, GA

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Don't snuff it

add new lump and wait for the VOCs to clear before putting the meat on. 

i.e. When the smoke smells good, it is good

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Damn I already have it in the snuff mode. Should I open it back up? Will the temp steady with it only burning from the bottom? @JustineCaseyFeldown
    Snellville, GA

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    How would you address the smoking wood? Just layer it as normal?
    Snellville, GA

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Just dump in some more lump, whatever else your gonna add, let the fire
    re-establish itself, burn off voc's, get to temp and throw the butts on. Your gonna make this harder on yourself starting over. Egg's hot, don't start over. 

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Thank you sir. New lump is in. 
    Snellville, GA

• tikigriller
    Options
    Sorry for leading you down a bad path. 

Livermore, California
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I don't think it was a bad path at all. The new lump wouldn't light from just tossing it on top so I lit the top and we are stable now. Thanks for the reply! Many ways to skin a cat. 
    Snellville, GA