Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help with turbo butt

Options
I was cooking a butt@ 350 and went out for a couple house when I came home it had shot up to 450 (I'm not sure how long) Its almost at 160 internal where I was going to pull it off and foil . Should I even bother ? Or should I toss it and cook something else?

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Foil it, stick it in the oven to finish @ 350. No worries ... butts are very forgiving (unlike my ex-gf, but that's another story) ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I wouldn't toss it, I'd just roll with it.  What say you @RRP
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• bountyhunterboba
    Options
    i foiled @ 161 hopefully it doesn't suck....im serving it to my boss

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    The temp spike may have done some bark caramelization but beyond that the key is the feel at the finish.  As above, a very forgiving cook-when the bone pulls clean you are there or if bone-less then whenever it probes like buttah.  Generally the low 200's so you are far from finished.  If the bark seems like it is getting too crunchy, you can foil with some liquid ( a few ounces) to soften it up, then as you close in on nailing the cook-take it out of the bark to reset it.  Don't know what time zone you are in or when you plan to serve but once you get the cook into the FTC window, you are home-free. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options

Guess I am missing something here. If your going to make pulled pork , your going to 200 degrees anyway. Is this a timing issue? Foil isn't needed by the way.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• bountyhunterboba
    Options
    gamason said:

Guess I am missing something here. If your going to make pulled pork , your going to 200 degrees anyway. Is this a timing issue? Foil isn't needed by the way.

Im worries that if it cooks to fast and hot it will dry out the inside. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    ryantt said:
    since you ask me - recently I had a similar out of control butt which I caught at 425 and though I didn't foil it, I did close my egg down to finish the cook with residual heat to 202 internal. That butt was a disaster and what wasn't snarly still wouldn't pull to my satisfaction and the bark was burnt crap and it had large pockets of fat. Sorry but I pitched mine - better luck with yours!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    RRP said:
    ryantt said:
    since you ask me - recently I had a similar out of control butt which I caught at 425 and though I didn't foil it, I did close my egg down to finish the cook with residual heat to 202 internal. That butt was a disaster and what wasn't snarly still wouldn't pull to my satisfaction and the bark was burnt crap and it had large pockets of fat. Sorry but I pitched mine - better luck with yours!
    Call it vanity or whatever, but I'd rather explain to my guests why I didn't serve them something rather than apologize for serving them something I knew was a diaster in my mind. Reputation is hard to come by but can be torn down easily.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.