Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Emergency cook....

Options
So I came home from work today (105 degrees). Went to the beer fridge to grab a cold one, and the fridge died. Checked the freezer and everything was thawing out. Wife had some chicken thighs in there, they were thawed out but still cold. So I had to cook them. Fired up the egg, cooked these at 400 direct, skin up and flipped at 15 min. Flipped back to skin up after 10 min. Until 175 IT. 

Dusted with a new rub I found on the way to the Coast. (Miners Mix Poultry Perfection). Came out perfect, wife says it was best thighs I've cooked in awhile!
Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks good, sucks about the fridge dying.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Sorry about the fridge, but nice cook!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Thanks @DMW and @johnkitchens...it was an old fridge and SWMBO has a cousin who refurbishes and sells used appliances, so it's all good. 

The highlight is I found my new favorite poultry rub!!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Love some good chicken thighs. 

I was about to say if it's an older one take it to a guy who works on them but if your cousin does that's good stuff. I have a buddy who has kept my garage freezer and fridge going for pennies on the dollar. 

Another good use use for a busted fridge is to put it in your garage and gut the insides and use it as a makeshift safe. Slap a little side panel lock on it and most people will never even notice it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SloppyJoe
    Options
    Looks delicious. 
  • smokeybreeze
    Options

I was about to say if it's an older one take it to a guy who works on them but if your cousin does that's good stuff. I have a buddy who has kept my garage freezer and fridge going for pennies on the dollar. 

Another good use use for a busted fridge is to put it in your garage and gut the insides and use it as a makeshift safe. Slap a little side panel lock on it and most people will never even notice it. 
    ...or if the fridge is old enough, make a cold smoker out of it, just be sure not to use the OEM shelves.
  • BrueggeDad
    Options
    Good save.  That sucks about the fridge.
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options

...or if the fridge is old enough, make a cold smoker out of it, just be sure not to use the OEM shelves.
    Enlighten me about turning into a cold smoker...might be something I can do. 
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Those look really good.  nice job

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf