Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware Chimney Cap cleaning?

Options
I saw a thread a bit ago about techniques for cleaning.

But, is it really necessary?  I just broke my daisy wheel and was planning on going with the Smokeware, but I'm not enthusiastic about having to break out the oven cleaner every so often.  I don't care about aesthetics, just full function.
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Never have cleaned mine either.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Those do look cool. I read that grease builds up inside and then eventually drips down the egg. Is there any truth to that? Can you do cooks at 350-400 degrees with one in place?
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    Haven't cleaned mine in a year now.

Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Several years in without cleaning.  It gets a little narly but so far no problems.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I hope our resident anal retentive chef doesn't see this thread! All you guys who don't wash and wax your caps will drive him over the edge! :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    I never clean mine, but once in a while I hit the underside with foil or whack it with the ash tool if it looks like there are loose flakes.

You can get 350-400 with it on, but it takes longer to climb there if the fire isn't already that hot.  If I'm going to cook 350-400 I skip the cap until it heats up and then cap at say 300.  Mostly, if I want 400, no cap at all unless I overshoot and have to hit the brakes.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @Legume. With no top on and shooting for 400F, how far is your lower vent cracked?  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I pretty much never take the top off and can get to 550 or 600 with it wide open and a clean (ash removed) egg.  I also don't clean it.

NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @Legume. With no top on and shooting for 400F, how far is your lower vent cracked?  
    On my large, about an inch, maybe a tad more.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    To maintain a steady 400, maybe 1/2" or so on my XL once it gets there.  I'll have it open more on the way up and just bump it a little more closed as i'm walking by or sitting there staring at it with a beer.  I don't have a bunch of fixed settings in my head, but 1/2" sounds about right.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    I've had to clean the goo from between the base and cap before after several low and slows in a row, but after trying to get them spotless the first time I decided it wasn't worth the trouble for me. I'll still get the grease cleaned out though when it needs it. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Mine got so bad it had to be pried off the egg with a breaker bar after it heated up a bit. I couldn't slide the vent anymore. I considered oven cleaner but said F it and threw in in the fire and burned it off.

Jacksonville FL
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @Dobie. Nice, would have thought the finish may get damaged...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Mine got so bad it had to be pried off the egg with a breaker bar after it heated up a bit. I couldn't slide the vent anymore. I considered oven cleaner but said F it and threw in in the fire and burned it off.

I thought I was the only one. The one on my large won't budge. Can still adjust the vents. 
  • Dobie
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    It's got a patina to it now but functions like new. The thing caught fire with the tar built up on it, but afterwards the ash wiped right off and it was clean. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • RedSkip
    Options
    Dobie said:
    RedSkip said:
    It's got a patina to it now but functions like new. The thing caught fire with the tar built up on it, but afterwards the ash wiped right off and it was clean. 
    That's awesome.  Glad to know it can be done.  Mine has a rubber piece for the temp control, hopefully I'll remember to remove it.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Dobie
    Options
    @theyolksonyou I keep the outside of the egg pretty clean but scrubbing that cap all the time got old and I let it go until it couldn't use it. Had to heat the egg up with the dome open and the close it to warm up the top enough to pull off with gloves on. The base wouldn't move even hot without the breaker bar. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I don't get it. You guys spend the coin for bling, but let it go worst than a OE daisey wheel. =)

Since you like the crud look why did you bother buying the SmokeWare cap? :o

BTW,  yes I keep my cars clean also.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BilZol
    Options
    RRP said:
    I don't get it. You guys spend the coin for bling, but let it go worst than a OE daisey wheel. =)

Since you like the crud look why did you bother buying the SmokeWare cap? :o

BTW,  yes I keep my cars clean also.

Got mine because of snow. Last thanksgiving I had 4" of snow while trying to deep fry turkeys. Not taking any chances. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • RRP
    Options
    BilZol said:

Got mine because of snow. Last thanksgiving I had 4" of snow while trying to deep fry turkeys. Not taking any chances. 
    One of these roof top vent caps for $7 is a lot cheaper than a Smokeware for when you need it.

• BilZol
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RRP said:
    BilZol said:

One of these roof top vent caps for $7 is a lot cheaper than a Smokeware for when you need it.

Not a shabby idea at all. I could prolly sell the factory Daisy wheels and dampers for way more then SmokeWare tops cost if it was a money thing though. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I throw my SW cap on the grid after a pizza cook to burn all the crud off.  It looks a little tarnished now, but it's clean and I prefer the tarnished look over the original.  Gives it character.   But to each his own if you want to keep it shiny!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Electrolysis.   Let it sit overnight, then wash and rinse.  No scrubbing at all, and it comes out like brand new.

You can watch vids on youtube about it, but if you've got a homer bucket, battery charger, and a scrap of metal you have what it takes.

Phoenix 
  • Smolder
    Smolder Posts: 104
    Options
    Yeah, I just want a cap for when it rains. I've had it start pouring on me in the middle of smokes too often. I like the $7 roof cap. Big box store or where?
  • RRP
    Options
    Smolder said:
    Yeah, I just want a cap for when it rains. I've had it start pouring on me in the middle of smokes too often. I like the $7 roof cap. Big box store or where?
    yes - big box store - often there is more than one style available and material. Mine is galvanized sheet metal and I believe it is stronger than the flimsey aluminum ones. Just measure so that yours will set down over your CI daisy and allow adjustments to be made. BTW mine there is 15 years old and stays out in the elements year around. On a safety note that will get HOT so handle carefully.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  Bought one and used it tonight.  I like it.  I think I might like it a lot, but I want some more cooks.  Cooked some 2", 60 day dry aged ribeyes which were excellent - as always.

As for higher temps, I had to dial it back because 600+ was easily achievable without trying.  I was a little concerned after reading some of the comments lauding 400+ temps.  No problem at all.  Looking forward to getting familiar with it.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Smokeware cap is great!  On my L and XL.  I like it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • leemschu
    Options
    Only problem I had was mine sticking.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 78
    edited April 13
    Options
    All these kits look the same, by many different brands (just as the plug-in tiny heaters do these days). So.... I found a cheaper one (Canadian dollars mind you) and bought a Vevor brand like United Home Services.... I liked that it is over 30 ft. long, in case I break a rod or two. Anyway, I likely should clean the chimney sooner than later since I've been burnin' away for a few months now. Does anyone else have this brand? Any good? Any tips for usage? Thanks.