Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick brisket/wood chunk question...

Options
About to go to bed on brisket.  Guru is at 225 and I have a mix of Apple and hickory chunks in there.  Havent seen real smoke yet.  Been on for an hour or so.  I assume that will happen while I dream of the brisket or should I bump it up to 230-240?  Thanks as always 

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    It is getting smoke flavor even if you can't see it.  Keep it dialed at 225 and sleep well. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    You'll get smoke - imagine you'll get a range of temp preferences to from the eggheads. I don't guru and my egg seems to be happiest 250-275 so that's where mine cook. Hope it turns out the way you want it!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Your getting smoke flavor even if you don't see it.  Hold your hand over the daisy opening for a few seconds then smell your hand.  Should smell like tasty smoke.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • thehumanrake
    Options
    Last one... I've read wrap at 160 and add some liquid like beef broth or beer.  I've got a pan of Apple juice underneath and would rather not have to get up at 160 if you catch my drift.  Pull at 195 for slicing right?  Need to cooler it for 4-5 hours probably 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Is this a full packer?  If so, no need to wrap.  I would choose sleep over wrapping.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy a great brisket journey this PM/AM.  
    As long as you have a clean fire (no longer seeing white smoke and the smoke smells good)  the smoke wood you added will give you a solid smoke flavor without any visible evidence (exhaust).  Key is to concentrate the smoke wood within the lump load focusing on center, just to right of center and back.  That is the predominant route for fire travel.   But for a long duration cook, the fire will seek and find a combustion source anywhere within the lump load.
    Just relax and enjoy the fact that you are cooking about the best hunk of protein you can enjoy on any Q device.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Pull when the thicker part of the flat "probes like buttah" as they say. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Regarding the wrap question-give this link a look:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnRRDSYgdmw

BTW- his brisket video series takes away the mystique of brisket cooks.  Well worth the time.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thehumanrake
    Options
    It's a flat (I know) but the local butcher won't doesn't carry them unless you ask.  

Was in a pinch to impress friends for tailgating this weekend.  I've done 2 before... One I think I pulled early and the other was perfect.
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Just do this one exactly like the perfect one you did!  :smiley:
    Grand Rapids MI
  • thehumanrake
    Options
    And 8lbs is enough to thin slice for the amount of peeps I'm cooking with.

This forum never fails.  It's incredible.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    kl8ton said:

hang on... writing this down.

Phoenix 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    More smoke at 250, yes
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• thehumanrake
    Options
    blasting said:
    kl8ton said:

hang on... writing this down.

I can't remember exactly because I'm sure I had several beers.  And as y'all well know, when you search for anything about smoking on the internet (fat side up or down.for example) there is always two distinctly different answers.  Hahah!  I'm a fat side guy up BTW 
  • thehumanrake
    Options
    To wrap or not to wrap... Opinions are like,
    *cough* you know... Everybody has one.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    The beauty of Q is that many roads will get you there.  Grab one and go-enjoy the results, change one variable the next time and see how that compares.  The only challenge with that approach is that the major factor is the largest variable-the friggin cow.  But always fun regardless.  FWIW-
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Read an article last week from the forum. Wish I could credit the one who shared - it was a link to amazing ribs I think. So it explained the stall - basically it's moisture being pushed out of the meat and as that happens there's a cooling effect, so the internal temp stalls - it's like when humans sweat to cool us off during exertion. Wrapping if I remember correctly from the article was reccomended from 140 and then removing around 180 to avoid "the stall" and let the bark reform. wrapping is like a wrestler wearing plastics to cut weight, sweat doesn't cool it down.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I like wrapping w the Franklin pink butcher paper.  Good luck.  Why sleep when you can drink? And read the forum?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I bought a thousand foot roll of the pink paper - I can't not wrap.
    Phoenix 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    @thehumanrake how's it going? 
    Grand Rapids MI