Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need fast advice!

Left a NY Strip in the grocery bag. Been at room temp for approx 6-7 hours Plan to cast iron at 500 one the Baked is done.

Baked is on the Egg at 400. SWMBO is about to go take a bath. Should I go get a new Strip?
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• If it's been grocery store wrapped inside the bag, I would cook it and eat it without hesitation.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    I wouldn't think twice about cooking it myself. If it was in a hot car or out in the sun, not sure. But room temp I'd eat it. 
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    It wouldn't bother me but I would cook it about Medium---if rare or med rare, there could be more risk, but the high heat should kill the microbes
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2016
    Cooking for myself? Not you?

i'd slap my forehead. Look at it sideways. Slap the counter and say "sh!t"

think a bit

and probably rinse it well. Pat dry. Salt well. All sides. 

Cracked pepper for flavor's sake

and then cook it

that's me though. 

You wanna sit on a toilet all day tonorrow counting floor tiles. That's your call. 

Might not happen. But if it did. I wouldna wanna be the guy who told you it was 'safe'. 

But my cast iron belly would would feel comfortable doing it. 

Mom used to take out a frozen roast at 6am and go to work. When i got home at 3 after school there'd be a note telling me to put it in the oven at 325 with some salt and pepper. 

Only two of my siblings died. But they were the weak ones anyway. Good riddance. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I would cook and eat ASAP. By definition of food safety, no more than 4 hours outside the safety zone. It's five o'clock some place. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Maybe this is just me, but I would trim off the fat, chop/dice it up and mix in some salt, pepper, Worcestershire or fish sauce, make a patty, pour a raw egg yolk over it, toss some capers and chopped onions and eat it raw with rye bread. 

Might be counting floor tiles in the bathroom the next day but it would be worth it. 

And you can possibly lose more weight than you'd expect eating a steak.
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Update:

Google search said 2 hours. 

The disposal ate well a few minutes ago. 

Good news is I made it back and forth from Publix in under 10 minutes for re-inforcements. SWMBO never knew I was gone. 

Egg on. 

Troll on if you are so inclined. 

NO FORKS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Paul Prudehoome (spx?) blackened by the way.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Maybe this is just me, but I would trim off the fat, chop/dice it up and mix in some salt, pepper, Worcestershire or fish sauce, make a patty, pour a raw egg yolk over it, toss some capers and chopped onions and eat it raw with rye bread. 

Might be counting floor tiles in the bathroom the next day but it would be worth it. 

Hillary, by the way, was the most transparent on healthcare. She dropped on the street, less one shoe,  for all to see. Only Monika dropped faster. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I would have done the  same. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2016
    Maybe this is just me, but I would trim off the fat, chop/dice it up and mix in some salt, pepper, Worcestershire or fish sauce, make a patty, pour a raw egg yolk over it, toss some capers and chopped onions an eat it raw with rye bread. 

@nolaegghead  Maybe I'm just a sick SOB....But, that got me salivating a little bit. :lol:  I figure Julia Child would agree. Eat it!
    https://youtu.be/SHX0pv8_JOE
    https://youtu.be/t2mU6USTBRE

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • I think I would have eaten it but I eat like a Billy Goat. Better safe than sorry I guess. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • I would have ate it myself, but wouldnt have fed it to anybody else. 

Little Rock, AR

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @THEBuckeye - the he$$ with the steak-off to the bath tub...
    But you already made the decision...  ;)  No forking around!  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Update:

Google search said 2 hours. 

The disposal ate well a few minutes ago. 

Good news is I made it back and forth from Publix in under 10 minutes for re-inforcements. SWMBO never knew I was gone. 

Egg on. 

Troll on if you are so inclined. 

NO FORKS! 
    You might not get the bestest advice from forum members on a Friday night.....after all you or post could be entertainment on Saturday morning. Better to be safe!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    I leave steaks in the sink to thaw all day in the freezer bags and eat them rare all the time. I know I'm livin on the edge....
    Jacksonville FL
  • Its a steak. I would eat it. If it were heavily processed, like ground beef, I would err to caution.
    XL BGE - Adjustable rig combo, Rutland gasket, 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Hillary, by the way, was the most transparent on healthcare. She dropped on the street, less one shoe,  for all to see. Only Monika dropped faster. 
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/clinton-faint-health_us_57d95d78e4b09d7a6880b6cd?section=&section=us_video

I would throw it out and say a few choice words - but I wouldn't die....
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Maybe this is just me, but I would trim off the fat, chop/dice it up and mix in some salt, pepper, Worcestershire or fish sauce, make a patty, pour a raw egg yolk over it, toss some capers and chopped onions and eat it raw with rye bread. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/clinton-faint-health_us_57d95d78e4b09d7a6880b6cd?section=&section=us_video

Yea but they don't send out their body double afterwards. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited September 2016
    buckeye you wimp! Hand over your man card please. You are officially done!
     =)  :)
    I would have hit it, smack my lips and called it a day. Just dont do any acid blockers, let God's good creation work its magic.
    You were never in the military were you? He He!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799

The infamous "Cannibal Sandwich"? 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    yljkt said:

The infamous "Cannibal Sandwich"? 
    Nope, steak tartare.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Maybe this is just me, but I would trim off the fat, chop/dice it up and mix in some salt, pepper, Worcestershire or fish sauce, make a patty, pour a raw egg yolk over it, toss some capers and chopped onions an eat it raw with rye bread. 

@nolaegghead  Maybe I'm just a sick SOB....But, that got me salivating a little bit. :lol:  I figure Julia Child would agree. Eat it!
    https://youtu.be/SHX0pv8_JOE
    https://youtu.be/t2mU6USTBRE

Blake, did you just say Julia Child has you salivating a bit?  That's pretty sick dude.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I'd have tossed it too. I'll be a wimp right there with you. With my fork. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • What a Buckeye......   
  • THEBuckeye
    SloppyJoe said:
    What a Buckeye......   
    Tressel Ball
    New Albany, Ohio