Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burnt ends

cubed up the point from my brisket the other day and made burnt ends today. Tasty tasty.

Went on the egg at 300 for 3 hours.

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• Oh, Yeah!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Those look delicious.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I think you did that right! great post dude!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,084
    Deserves an encore.
    Not a felon
  • The bowl pic is pure magic... Fantastic post..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Thanks all. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Dang that looks good!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Looks great! I have plans to do the same tonight! Hope mine turn out as well as yours.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,171
    That is come great looking candy right there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • I could eat those things every single night.  I can't wait to make them the first time.

So now I am going to show my rookie side again.....when I buy my first brisket, which will be from Costco, I assume those are the entire brisket, not just a "flat", so what part of the brisket is the actual "point" that I need to cut off and then cube?

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited September 2016

I could eat those things every single night.  I can't wait to make them the first time.

So now I am going to show my rookie side again.....when I buy my first brisket, which will be from Costco, I assume those are the entire brisket, not just a "flat", so what part of the brisket is the actual "point" that I need to cut off and then cube?

So TRUE burnt ends are the point. You are correct, that is the part you cut off.  A full brisket comes with the flat that is the entire length of the brisket and the point which sits in the top of the brisket and extends about half way in length.  Costco sells flats only and full briskets. You want the full brisket. 

After your done cooking it place your hand on the top of the brisket and slide it back and forth to find where they connect (called the deckle, sp) It will show easily as the point will move and the flat will stay still.  

I take a knife through the connection point of the fat. I  trim the fat from the bottom of it after I take off the point. Then I cube it up and smoke for another 3 hours. 

I I wish I could explain better to you, give YouTube a look I'm sure there are good decent videos. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• I could eat those things every single night.  I can't wait to make them the first time.

So TRUE burnt ends are the point. You are correct, that is the part you cut off.  A full brisket comes with the flat that is the entire length of the brisket and the point which sits in the top of the brisket and extends about half way in length.  Costco sells flats only and full briskets. You want the full brisket. 

After your done cooking it place your hand on the top of the brisket and slide it back and forth to find where they connect (called the deckle, sp) It will show easily as the point will move and the flat will stay still.  

I take a knife through the connection point of the fat. I  trim the fat from the bottom of it after I take off the point. Then I cube it up and smoke for another 3 hours. 

I I wish I could explain better to you, give YouTube a look I'm sure there are good decent videos. 

That was perfect!!  I should be able to figure it out from that.  I'm going to have a harder time just cooking the brisket in the first place probably!  If it were up to my wife, I wouldn't even cook the flat!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,483
    Image result for brisket
    Image result for brisket

@tikigriller, I hope these photos above help.  The flat is the top part and the bottom is mostly the point, but I have cut the point flat end and made burnt ends out of all of it.  

@bhedges1987, those burnt ends looks awesome as always.  Planning on doing some in a few weeks along with ribs and chicken for a big cook for my uncles that are coming into to town for a visit from California.  I may get a separate point to make burnt end and keep the full brisket for slices. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Image result for brisket
    Image result for brisket

@tikigriller, I hope these photos above help.  The flat is the top part and the bottom is mostly the point, but I have cut the point flat end and made burnt ends out of all of it.  

@bhedges1987, those burnt ends looks awesome as always.  Planning on doing some in a few weeks along with ribs and chicken for a big cook for my uncles that are coming into to town for a visit from California.  I may get a separate point to make burnt end and keep the full brisket for slices. 
    Question, don't you normally separate the flat and point before smoking the brisket?  I did an impulse buy and only got the Flat, so I can't do the burnt ends...The second pic looks as if the flat and point were cooked as one.   Thanks...had my BGE for a month now, so haven't done anything big...
  • Sorry, let me clarify...a couple YouTube videos had the person cutting the point off first.  Thanks

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited January 2017
    lalaw2153 said:

Image result for brisket
    Image result for brisket

Question, don't you normally separate the flat and point before smoking the brisket?  I did an impulse buy and only got the Flat, so I can't do the burnt ends...The second pic looks as if the flat and point were cooked as one.   Thanks...had my BGE for a month now, so haven't done anything big...

Normally you smoke the brisket first, remove the point, cube and return to the smoker. I foil and keep the flat warm in a cooler when I've done burnt ends. 
    I have done them with just the flat too. Not as good but still not bad at all. Just not as fatty. I'm no expert though. But like I said, I have done them with just flat. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    I am doing this on Sunday for the game. looks great
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,483
    gmac said:
    lalaw2153 said:

Image result for brisket
    Image result for brisket

Normally you smoke the brisket first, remove the point, cube and return to the smoker. I foil and keep the flat warm in a cooler when I've done burnt ends. 
    I have done them with just the flat too. Not as good but still not bad at all. Just not as fatty. I'm no expert though. But like I said, I have done them with just flat. 
    You can separate the point form the flat and cook it you like.  The point will be done way ahead and you could get started on the burnt ends if you like.  My brother in law does it that way, I prefer to cook then together.  When I make burnt ends I do use the part of the flat that is on top of the point so I get more goodness.

Not sure if you are going for sauced burnt ends or not, but I found this recipe today I want to try next time I do them.

http://jesspryles.com/best-ever-bbq-brisket-burnt-ends/
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JMCXL

You can separate the point form the flat and cook it you like.  The point will be done way ahead and you could get started on the burnt ends if you like.  My brother in law does it that way, I prefer to cook then together.  When I make burnt ends I do use the part of the flat that is on top of the point so I get more goodness.

Not sure if you are going for sauced burnt ends or not, but I found this recipe today I want to try next time I do them.

any benefit to separating before you cook the brisket. My thought was to remove from egg when the point probes like butter, separate, wrap the point, cube the flat and return to the egg as mentioned earlier.
    Northern New Jersey

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Follow me on Facebook 

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,319
    edited February 2017
    @bhedges1987, I'd belly up for a bunch of those burnt ends.

Gorgeous! 
    Living the good life smoking and joking
  • bhedges1987
    Bringing this post back from the dead!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,319
    edited February 2017
    Bringing this post back from the dead!
    LOL! I didn't check the date on the thread.......but I'm glad it was revived. Those burnt ends are amazing. 
    Living the good life smoking and joking
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,054

I could eat those things every single night.  I can't wait to make them the first time.

This is where I learned how to do it.  Highly recommend!  thirdeye has many tutorials and worth the read.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/07/beef-burnt-ends.html

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    JMCXL said:

any benefit to separating before you cook the brisket. My thought was to remove from egg when the point probes like butter, separate, wrap the point, cube the flat and return to the egg as mentioned earlier.
    Backwards. You wrap the flat and cube the point if you want burnt ends. 

I think you have the point and flat mixed up. The point of the brisket is the thicker end on a packer. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835

Make sure you check whether your Costco sells full packer briskets.  Not all of them do. Ours only sells flats.  Some Costcos sell full briskets that are Prime and some only sell Choice.  Good luck.  Burnt Ends are well worth the search for a packer brisket.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • JMCXL
    FATC1TY said:
    JMCXL said:

I think you have the point and flat mixed up. The point of the brisket is the thicker end on a packer. 
    Sorry so I wrap the entire Flat and cube just the point part for Burnt Ends or are people using the Flat/Point starting at the Point?
    Northern New Jersey

Follow me on Facebook 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,375
    Those look somewhat decent!  Wow!  You nailed the cook and perfected the pictures on that!  Great job!!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bhedges1987
    JMCXL said:
    FATC1TY said:
    JMCXL said:

Sorry so I wrap the entire Flat and cube just the point part for Burnt Ends or are people using the Flat/Point starting at the Point?
    Cook your entire packer brisket like normal.  

When I'm done. I let it all rest together and come down to temp.  Then I remove the point and either
    A.) Cube the point, throw more rub on it and put it back on the smoker.  For 2 hours - cover pan with foil and some broth or sauce and go for another hour.
    B.) Leave the point whole - rub the bottom side, and smoke for 3 more hours. Let rest and then cube or chop when done.

To your original question.  You can separate the two before you cook.  A LOT of places do that here, that's why most places here have bad flats.  They typically slice that meat for sandwiches.  The point will be good either way, and that's what most places here are after.

@JMCXL

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• JMCXL
    Well the SB party is over and the Burnt Ends were talked about more than the finish of the game.  We hid them from the kids (didn't need to waste such goodness on children).  After for the brisket cook I separated (as mention above) cubed and turned to the egg in foil with Coke, brown sugar, bbq sauce, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce butte and honey.  Cooked for about 4-5 hours and they cannot better than I hoped.  As always thanks for all the help with cooks everyone.
    Northern New Jersey

Follow me on Facebook 

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,245
    edited February 2017
    Drooling. Nice (the food, not what I'm doing). SWMBO's eyes nearly popped out of her head.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------