Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Busy Weekend

Had to work this weekend, so there wasn't anytime to smoke anything like I wanted to.

When I got home from work Friday, this was waiting for me. Really wanted to break it in, but didn't get the chance. Quick question, do you still  use the grate along with the Kick Ash basket or just the basket?

Duke proof!! (That's him throwing it on the ground repeatedly and then my dog Ollie running by in the bottom of the picture.

Saturday, we made a batch of chili because its football season and because a cold front blew through and knocked us down to a frigid 84F and because why not?

While that was simmering away, I busted out the old Mini and fired her up with some jalapeno cheese sausages to snack on during the Baylor game. Not sure when the last time I used the Mini was.

Almost done.

Started cleaning out the Large Sunday and noticed this. I'm sure its got plenty of life left in it, but just sent an e-mail out to Bruce at BGE to get the ball rolling on a replacement.

And finished up the evening by starting to map out a new table/outdoor kitchen type area. Sidewalk chalk is good for something other than keeping kids entertained.

Earlier in the week, Mrs. G gave me the go ahead to get it going. She said it can't be 25" wide side to side as she doesn't want it blocking the window, so it will have to be 19" at the narrow part by the window. Hopefully that will work and its wide enough that the Mini or the Blackstone 17" can fit depending on what's in use while the other sits on the shelf below it.  Coming out to the column, I'll widen it for the Large Egg and then run kind of a bar/shelf coming out from the other corner of the column. At least that's the rough plan for right now.

Anyway, that was just a small portion of my busy weekend. Hope everybody else got to do more Egging than I did.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I pulled the OE Fire grate when I went to the KAB. Good looking eats mang! :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Wow Duke sure is growing up! :o
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

@NPHuskerFL thanks. I'll try that tonight. Think we're gonna grills some bacon wrapped shrimp.

He sure is @Hotch 21months old now and smart as can be.

Rowlett, Texas

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Always dig your posts.  I replaced my firebox a couple years ago.  Only because I couldn't figure out how to put it back together haha!  As long as its still in working order and fits together it should be good.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    I reverse seared some costco NY strips, choice but highly marbled. Let us know how you like the kick ash basket! I bet the chili hit the spot with the cold front moving in :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • I took  the grate out.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Grate out.. Love the KAB
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    How'd you like that Baylor/SMU game?

I think there's about a 50% chance you see Chad Morris at Baylor next year.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited September 2016
    Food looks delicious.  I needed a cold front this weekend as the AC broke.

You could possibly get more depth on your counter next to the house to keep from intruding on the window by overhanging over the existing slab.  I would do this by drilling some holes in the side of the existing slab to connect to it with some sections of rebar, then digging a bit of a chain-wall foundation next to it.  Pour some concrete, doesn't have to be pretty if you have a cabinet/structure over it.  The extra counter real estate would be nice in the long run. 

Yeah, costs a bit more money but everything is bigger in Texas.
    fiver29 said:
    Always dig your posts.  I replaced my firebox a couple years ago.  Only because I couldn't figure out how to put it back together haha!  As long as its still in working order and fits together it should be good.

That's funny. Probably will do the same here.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    cssmd27 said:
    How'd you like that Baylor/SMU game?

I think there's about a 50% chance you see Chad Morris at Baylor next year.

I was not impressed with that first half, but we got it together during the second, so there's that. Chad Morris, huh? You see that tweet during the game?

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    @nolaegghead I'll look into that. Never worked with concrete before. Always a good time to learn something new.

Rowlett, Texas

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Griff could you just install a deeper counter top and have it over hang the  lower base? Then later if you like install a slab or pavers. You could then have a deeper counter top and a place for a couple of bar stools looking from the outside in?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX