Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Western Wonders....Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, etc.

Options
Need some good advice on a trip out west next September.  We will have about 10 days and will fly into Vegas and rent a car.  Looking to do a few days at each destination but we can be flexible.  
I've been reading a lot about Page, AZ too and all it has to offer.  I've been to the other parks as a teen but this will be a trip with the man.  We would like to do some hiking but nothing advanced.  May want a rafting and mule trip, too.  

Any advice on route and places to stay are appreciated! 
meredith
Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    @Jeepster47 .....
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I've yet to visit the GC so I'll stick to the utard parks.  What's neat is they almost form a "necklace" across the southern half of the state, and I took my Mom through them all in just a few days, one after another.  Arches and Zion have the best hiking (I bet Escalante does too, I've only driven through it once so far).  If you can approach Zion from the east, emerging from the long tunnel which bisects the park is one of the most stunning experiences you can have, wow!  
    Canyonlands is neat to see, but its two levels, the top and the bottom, and it wasn't my favorite.  There are dirt roads that take you up and down, but if you have a fear of heights like I do...

And speaking of heights, the hike up to Angel's Landing, in Zion, is a challenge too (I could never do this, I'm so happy for GoPros!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpmuakyEWpo

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    One of the most amazing things i have ever seen in my life is Carlsbad Caverns....in Carlsbad NM. Don't get me wrong...those National Parks are fantastic....been to most of them as well. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I just spent 6 days @ Zion, what an incredible place. Google 'The Narrows' .. it is actually the starting point for The Grand Canyon, and the best thing is that you can walk it.

If you decide to go, PM me and I'll try to answer any questions you might have. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm not the best to give advice on this because I haven't been to Utah yet.  But, I am in love with Yellowstone and can't say enough good things about this part of the country.  We did the horseback thing in Cody Wyoming on the outskirts of Yellowstone.  I've been back two other times and just love it.  So much to see and I'm not even talking about Old Faithful!  Just the scenery. Then there is Jackson  Hole and the Tetons.  I stayed in Jackson hole one time and had a day trip to Yellowstone, but I'd already been there before.  The Tetons are beautiful too.  Also, just love Colorado and the Rocky Mountains.  So much to see. 
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
     The Grand Canyon is well worth seeing. The Hoover Dam tour is good as well. Someone mentioned Carlsbad Caverns, it is impressive, but I believe that is at least a 12 hour drive from Vegas. The view from the top of the Stratosphere is really good. We were there a little before sunset, personally, I think that is the best time. Some sections of route 66 are nice.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Been along time but I always loved Sedona. It's an hour and a half from the Grand Canyon as I remember.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch
    Options
    Been along time but I always loved Sedona. It's an hour and a half from the Grand Canyon as I remember.
    I spent a week's vacation in Sedona this last spring.  There were three lightning fires started up by Flagstaff right before I got there; because of the geography the smoke rolls down into Sedona overnight.  Couldn't see anything in the mornings.  The heat drove the smoke up, and it was beautifully clear in the evenings, but already too hot to hike much.  
    Still, a beautiful place!  

• BBQBuddy
    Options
    Spent the day in Yellowstone today. Always wonderful!  Saw a bear, bison, mountain goats, pronghorn, deer and elk.  But the best thing...a wolf ran across the road about 30 ft. in front of my car.  So cool!!  Weather was perfect. Visit Big Sky, Montana...rafting, mountain biking, Yellowstone an hr. away, great fly fishing....
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Vegas is a great starting point to take park adventures. Grand Canyon is a quick day trip. Zion is a few hours away, arches is about 7 with Bryce Canyon in between. Death Valley is a couple hours away and worth going to once. Yosemite is is 6 hours away and very much worth the drive. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Also of note, Red Rock Canyon is just a 30 minute drive from the strip and Valley of Fire State Park is gorgeous, about an hour out of the city. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Local to Zion myself, lots of great things to do around here.  Pm if you get serious I can help you with local souther Utah stuff, some things not mentioned may be worth note,  valley of fire north of Vegas. Snow canyon state park near st George Ut (where I live).  I also know a few lodging options near Zion (horse back riding etc offered) and Bryce as well.  Never made it to arches or canyonlands.  can't help you there Kim into 5 Mileish intermediate hikes great for if you want to see several things in a day.   Sept is a busy time of year due to the heat finally leaving so I reccomend whatever you do book lodging early. 
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    IF you are a photographer, bring your tripod.    Scan out shots the DAY before for morning shots and maybe in the morning for AFTERNOON shots.   Skip noon shots because of vertical shadows.   More drama with a low sun angle. 

Bryce and Zion are BOTH photographers dream vacations.   If you get lucky, their MIGHT be a little snow on the ground.   

Drive carefully if you DO see any snow.   At the higher elevation of Bryce, be careful of potential altitude sickenss.   
  • Botch
    Options
    Begger said:
    Drive carefully if you DO see any snow.   At the higher elevation of Bryce, be careful of potential altitude sickenss.   
    That reminded me, the south end of the loop thru Bryce features the park's highest hike, and you get up into a bristlecone pine forest.  Its pretty awesome to stand among live trees that are almost as old as humankind...

• platypusrex
    Options
    If Grand Canyon do the north rim, but by all means do not miss Antelope Canyon. It's on the way to the north rim, run by native Americans, and is a photographer's dream. Google it. Do the lower side of it, a more difficult hike but better views. 

LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • bgentry
    Options
    If time permits, and they have open reservations, do Phantom Ranch.  It's the mule ride down the Grand Canyon.  Day down, half day back out with a nice dinner at the bottom at Phantom Ranch.  Really a great way to see the Grand Canyon.  Phenomenal views.
    Stony
    Lrg Egg w/lots of egg toys
    Yoder Frontiersman, Yoder YS640 & YS1500, Backwoods Smoker & several in the smoker graveyard.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    Meredith - someone recently asked for advice on some western destinations including Vegas - some of this thread might be of interest to you:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1195394/usa-road-trip-what-shouldnt-we-miss/p1

New Orleans LA
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Currently sitting in Las Vegas airport waiting to return home after our road trip (linked above). I'll post some detail soon, in a nutshell Yellowstone was outstanding and worth a round trip from Vegas. Unless you can change your flight destination to somewhere closer.

We saw bears, coyote, geysers, snow, elk, osprey, owls, hot springs, really annoying and inconsiderate tour groups that walked on fragile earth (natural selection failed though), bison, bison herds stampeding, eagles, more bears, deer, swans, sunrises, the devastation of the Berry fire, some of the most incredible vistas we have witnessed ... maaaany times ....

... all of that in three days, and we covered around 20% of the park (the north) with no hiking.

We stayed in Gardiner for two nights in the Yellowstone Village Inn, thoroughly recommend this place over the Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel (where we also stayed). They are geared up for folks leaving at 5am to see the park. Also KBar pizza in town was excellent, the owner was a real character.

Going back next year ... already planning the trip. And also what to cook with the multitude of Dizzy Pig rubs we bought here.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed Yellowstone @Stormbringer. It's my favorite place on the planet. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    One of the most amazing things i have ever seen in my life is Carlsbad Caverns....in Carlsbad NM. Don't get me wrong...those National Parks are fantastic....been to most of them as well. 
    Carlsbad is big and cool to see. Sonora caves are not as big, but are better than Carlsbad. Both are a long way from Vegas.

If you are going to the Grand Canyon from Vegas, it will be a minimum of a two day trip, and that's driving back at night. Mules, hiking, rafting, etc. adds days to the trip.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.