Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

coconut shell briquettes

Options
Anyone has experience with this?  Mixed reviews in Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Coshell-9-Pound-Coconut-Charcoal-Briquettes/dp/B003Z0C10O/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473387944&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=cocoshell+charcoal

Found a liquidator near me that sells 4 kg bags at $4 CAD each.
canuckland

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    For $4 of monopoly money :smiley:, I'd give it a try.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @DMW yup that's about $3 USD vs. Amazon US $24.38, very tempting indeed  =)
    canuckland
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I hate coconut.

Almond Joy, yuck!
    German Chocolate Cake Yuck!

Even though I doubt the briquets would make the food taste like coconut, I wouldn't risk it personally.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Canugghead
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Zmokin most reviewers say no coconut taste, a common comment is it's too neutral i.e. no smoke taste.  I love coconut btw.
    canuckland
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Lot of the japanese charcoal we saw maybe ten years ago was hexagonal shaped extruded stuff, marketed to kamado users, and sourced from coconut shells

was fairly neutral IIRC. but shipping prices negates any of the lower prices 

i use coconut shells every once in a few years. For smoke. Lots of mild smoke. No obvious flavor other than "hey, tastes like smoke"
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Canugghead
    Options
    @Darby_Crenshaw thanks for sharing.  Here's a picture posted by the dealer, doesn't look like extruded hexagonal though, the profile is more like regular briquettes. Planning to gamble on couple of bags!

canuckland
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I got the coconut sticks. Burn hot, no smoky flavor last long time.  
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I bought this a while back when I was running out of time and realized I had no lump reserves. This was the only thing that Trader J's had (out of season) .  IMO, even at the great deal you have locally, I would avoid it.   The ash was incredible, and the burn was quick. Best of luck!
  • Canugghead
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @nlovold Many Amazon reviewers say the same thing about massive ash and fast burn rate, bet it's not the same as the renowned extruded hexagonal stuff. Good to hear your first hand experience.  You've convinced me to not touch it with a 10-ft pole, thanks for saving me the trouble of finding out the hard way!

Glad I asked.
    canuckland
  • dopey
    dopey Posts: 201
    Options
    My experience was waiting forever for it to light even in a chimney starter, but once it lit, it had very neutral flavor.  Overall not bad for the 2 bucks I paid on clearance.
    What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT
  • beansberry
    Options
    I was given a bag from a local ace hardware he was given by a rep, to try it out.   TON of ash!  very mild smoke, but nothing like smoke from lump.  (taste and smell) I didn't really care for it at all,  took forever to light too, using starters from BGE.  SKIP IT!
    MiniMax, Large, and XL
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Yeah those look like regular briquettes where the binder is much of the material (and which doesn't burn, making for more ash).

i have no experience with the extruded stuff. It must have a binder too of course. But i dunno

the whiz reviewed it a long while ago
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Canugghead
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone for chiming in, now I can put it to rest. Still waiting for fire sale on the Black Diamond centre cut lump though  :)
    canuckland