Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sub 200F Salmon Smoke

SWMBO absolutely LOVES hot smoked salmon, but I've never done it for her as I could never be assured of keeping that low of a temp and keep it consistent.  So, on my sixth or so time using the LBGE, why not smoke some salmon for her? Costco had steelhead at a decent enough price and her birthday is this week, so here's what I did with my 2.5 lb side of fish:

Wet Brine (made the night before) and let fish brine for 20 hours in fridge

• 1 gal water (cool)
  • 1 ½ cups brown sugar
  • 1 ½ cups kosher salt

Cleaned out ash, built charcoal up to maximize air flow - big pieces first, teepee style on the bottom, fill in from there.
Full firebox of RO, apple wood chips and 5 or so apple wood chunks.
BGE firestarter square in the dead center, covered with some bigger lump pieces and one apple wood chunk.
Left dome open and bottom vent wide open until I was sure the lump was going, wood chunk was going as well.

Placesetter - legs up, then the grid.  Closed the dome, and slide the daisy wheel over, but left them 100% open.

Watched the dome temp gauge like a school kid watches the clock for the last bell.

When I got to 150F dome temp, I closed the bottom vent to 'credit card' sized gap, and the DW mostly closed.  Now I let it sit there until I got that beloved whispy blue smoke.

On with the fish!  Quick dome open, slide the parchment on, close. I might've taken 3 seconds... put the thicker part towards the known hot spot.

Continued to monitor the dome temp like a hawk.  Egg stayed stabilized for the first hour in and around 165-170F.  

After mowing the yard, and the completion of the second hour dome temp was up to 185F, I checked for internal temp and it was at 144F - perfect!  BUT, SWMBO tends to like a drier, more done smoked salmon.  So, I let her make the call, and she wanted another 30-60 mins.  

Now, by this time we had 'excited' the coal bed and we were nearing 200F for the last 30-45min before I pulled it off.  SWMBO is very pleased with her first, home smoked salmon!

Now, to cool for a bit and enjoy in her favorite manner - a Wheat Thin cracker, schmear of cream cheese, chunk of hot smoked salmon, wee little piece of dill and of lemon, and a single caper berry.   MMMMmmmmmMMMMMmmmm!
Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    We do this a lot too- family loves it. We have been doing the naked wiz recipe lately- here is a pic from the archives. My wife prefers drier as well-

Greensboro, NC
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Looks great. That's how I like mine - dry. I usually smoke around 185-200 for at least six hours!  Last time I went five hours only because the wild Pacific salmon (as opposed to farm raised Atlantic) had much lower fat contents.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    I always air-dry (using a fan) a few hours to form the pellicle to enhance the adherence of the smoke.   FWIW- 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Looks amazing.  I don't think I've ever smoked anything at that low a temperature.  How was the flavor?  Was it very smoky?  It looks gorgeous!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Hmmm... I might just have to try that as it looks really good.  Smoking process is the same as I use for smoking pork belly to make bacon. 180-195 tops. Now to find some alder wood for salmon.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Theophan said:
    Looks amazing.  I don't think I've ever smoked anything at that low a temperature.  How was the flavor?  Was it very smoky?  It looks gorgeous!
    Just the right amount of smoke! I forgot that SWMBO schmears the cream cheese on a dessert plate, shreds the salmon on top along with the dill, capers and lemon, and then we dip the Wheat Thins.  Still yummy.  But I did catch her taking a few decent sized chunks of the meat and popping it into her mouth.  And we've got more to eat tomorrow!

The apple wood was just right for our tastes.  After I let her look at and feel the fish at the end of the second hour, the LBGE started puffing out more smoke.  I looked at it after I snuffed out the fire, and you could hardly tell that there was in there!

• vb4677
    @lousubcap
    Yeah... I forget to type up that step... doh!

But I put it on a rack, and had the fan hit it while in a dark, cool basement room away from the cats...  Pellicle formed nicely.

• vb4677
    @Canugghead
    I am very pleased with the 3 hour cook - can't imagine another 3 !!?!?!!!  But yeah, I'd heard something about farm fish and fat and science and blah blah blah.... As long as SWMBO is happy, then it was a good cook in my book!

• vb4677
    @Wolfpack
    Nice!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    ^^^^ Home-run right there.  Great cook and presentation.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Looks heavenly!  My apology if I conveyed the wrong message earlier ... Not a fish snob here, I use farm raised salmon with high fat contents 99% of the time; was just trying to say last time I smoked for five hours only because it wasn't farm raised.
    canuckland
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    vb4677 said:
    Just the right amount of smoke! ... The apple wood was just right for our tastes....
    Sounds, and looks WONDERFUL!!!
  • vb4677
    @Canugghead
    No worries!  I had skimmed a long, boring article on the pros/cons of high fat salmon and had just remembered that...  As for the longer smoke - it's all personal taste, right?  The tail end of mine was just at that point of being too leathery for me...  That's all I was getting at.
  • Looks awesome!
    XL BGE  - Virginia
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited September 2016
    I'm going to do this again.  I did it last year with salmon we caught in Alaska and found 185 was the lowest I could consistently hold with my Stoker. Amazed that you were holding this manually.  Very nice! 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • vb4677
    @4Runner
    Yeah, start the fire, watch it hard, and gently slide in to that low number...
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    At what IT do you pull the fish? I did a search and came up with *165 IT?
  • vb4677
    r8rs4lf said:
    At what IT do you pull the fish? I did a search and came up with *165 IT?
    North of 144F...  I was pleased at that IT, but SWMBO wanted it a tad drier/smoked but not to the jerky stage, so I just let it run a bit longer and never checked IT again...  When it comes to this fish, I always let her pick the end point. 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Did you air dry the fillet after brining at all, and if so how long?
  • vb4677
    I did - in a cool room in the basement with a fan on it for about 2 hours...
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Yum.  Gotta try this low smoked salmon asap.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 456
    I love smoked salmon but I’ve never attempted to Egg. You’ve inspired me to try it this week. Off to the market to locate a salmon filet!
    IL