Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time chicken smoker

Options
Wanted to do something simple (and cheap if I screwed up) for my first smoke on my new LBGE so I went with a chicken.  Used mesquite chunks for about 5 hours on 225º.  This is how it looked.

And this is how it looked after my family had some skin.

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Looks great!! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    Great first smoke! Welcome to the forum.....Keep the posts coming and don't be afraid to ask questions! 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Nice looking bird there, delicious.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks great- welcome. 

How was the mesquite on the yard bird? If you haven't tried do a mix of cherry and pecan- maybe a big chunk of each. Gives great color and flavor. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Upside down! Don't see that very often.

we did one tonight as well. 
    About four and a half hours at 300-ish 

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]