Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Humble table that is WAY over-engineered

Options
Purchased LBGE at the beginning of August after talking about it for over 2 years.  Used a variation on the simple table design that so many have used here.  I had my neighbor help who is in construction so the table ended up way over-engineered.  I used 4x4's for the legs that we notched out so the weight of the egg would be on the wood.

I used furniture grade pine for the top, all the other wood was what I found at the big box home store, I also used outdoor decking screws.  I rounded the ends of the top for a little something different.

2 coats of Honey Oak stain and 2 thick coats (we live in the Pacific NW) clear coat produced a nice color.

Finished in about a day and a half, cooked on it Sunday night.

Finished and in place!

Comments

• Jameson19
    Options
    Very nice work!
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Beautiful 
    Seattle, WA
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Nice looking table!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    Nice looking table but you really should add a bottle opener.  ;)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ClydesdaleEgg
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing about a bottle opener shtgunal3, maybe I'll see if I can find any. B)
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Outstanding 
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Nice table and all that.  Call me a worry-wart, but up against the house and with a covered roof besides I sure wouldn't be cooking on it until I at least had a large cement paver stone separating that egg even in spite of the 3 legged metal stand. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I'm with @RRP even with a paver underneath is be worried about that wood table on a wood deck under a cover porch. Just be careful. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • ClydesdaleEgg
    Options
    I checked with the volunteer fireman next door and he stated that all is A-OK.  I've had it up to 400º+ and not a single singe anywhere.  I am thinking about a stone underneath though.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I checked with the volunteer fireman next door and he stated that all is A-OK.  I've had it up to 400º+ and not a single singe anywhere.  I am thinking about a stone underneath though.
    Have you or your volunteer fireman neighbor experienced a fire ball yet? Trust me you will SH*T your pants when you do! Being that close to your home with the plastic siding you may even see some residue though you will see more under that porch roof. I know you are new here so you probably have not seen the burnt table pictures nor read about the homes burnt down. Whether you plan to keep your egg at a low temperature or not that's fine, but those of us trying to help are simply doing that.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ROllTIDEEGGING
    Options
    nice table.. I'd suggest checking your home owner's policy if you plan to leave the table as it sits. You are asking for a fire man.
    put an air gap in with paver..
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Great table. I would suggest getting a bbq mat, and always keep the screen on the bottom vent closed. Sometimes to get the fire going quickly people take the daisy wheel off the top and open the bottom vent wide. Since there is a ceiling over it I would recommend you do not do that, especially if you will leave the egg unattended for any time at all. When the egg gets to nuke temps you will be amazed what comes out the top.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Nice looking table but you really should add a bottle opener.  ;)
    I think I would mount a few cap catchers first. Maybe just getting old but, bending over (and over) to pick those rascals up is a PITA.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow