Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket nemesis

Options
Been a while. Hope all is well. 13lb packer pre trim on at midnight. At 9.5 hours was at 200 degrees. Half flat probing nicely. Other half little firm. Let it go to 205 and no change. Just pulled and wrapped for hold. Consensus think that part of flat over or undercooked? Will hold for a few hours then separate point for burnt ends. I see vanilla still rocks at posting pics. 
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Which half was a little firm? Hopefully the rest will finish it off with carry-over cooking. Worst-case? Chopped brisket sandwiches.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    No hot tub?  My guess is stiff part of flat still not done.  I bet it will still taste great though!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I always go fat cap up. Sides of flat were probing nicely. Flipped it over like the pic and tested flat and parts were still firm. Hoping carry over will finish her off. I pulled thinking at least half is feeling good. Was worried if I kept it going it may firm up too. Having to hold it for hours so we will see
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Chubbs - I always find the probes like buttah (or won't ever release) feel before you will get close to the over-cooked phase.  Sometimes the window is tight, especially with the thin end of the flat, but you can get lucky with the FTC and it could bring it home.  
    I foil protect the thin flat end during around the first 3-4 hours  of my brisket cook, hoping to keep it moist til the rest finishes.  Works, sometimes and sometimes the friggin cow doesn't wanna play by any rules.  Regardless, I'm sure it will be a great banquet.
    And since I'm here, I would slice and inhale the point-best part of the cook.  But your cow, your cook- enjoy.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @Chubbs - how did it turn out??  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    I seem to have this problem with brisket all of the time and I am curious for the cause as well
    St. Johns County, Florida