Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Lump

Options
I found, what could be, the best lump ever.  Only made from center cuts!!

Edge charcoal is for Hillary supporters.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Maybe, yeah, if you're East Coat. 

This is what's hip and happening on the West Coast:

Image result for best lump

Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,197
    Options
    Wonder what this would do for smoke profile:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6704552_burn-cow-manure.html
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Being serious here.  My last bag of royal oak was awful.  Smelt like the old cowboy lump I used to buy.  Imparted a really nasty flavor on my food.  None of the others were like that.  I went and bought like 10 the day they were on sale.  Wonder why I had a bad batch?  What would even cause that? Just curious.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

A slight step down from peat.
    Options

A slight step down from peat.
    I like peat flavor .... in my scotch.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Being serious here.  My last bag of royal oak was awful.  Smelt like the old cowboy lump I used to buy.  Imparted a really nasty flavor on my food.  None of the others were like that.  I went and bought like 10 the day they were on sale.  Wonder why I had a bad batch?  What would even cause that? Just curious.
    My guess would be wood was not fully carbonized, or they used some softer woods.

*I use the term fully carbonized like people use the term zero gravity.  Incorrect, but ya'll know what I mean.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Rockwood best if $ no issue. On a budget RO better than cowboy 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • flyerdoc
    Options
    I was fortunate enough to pick up Hillary Charcoal. It reportedly burns hot and reads hot on the thermometer but when checked with an IR gun is only half the stated temp on the thermometer. Emails to the manufacturer have gone missing and I am left confused and disenfranchised. I am told that this is normal and not to believe my lying eyes.

I am preparing to build a wall and meet this phenomenon head on.

In the meantime I will fall back on BGE charcoal and hope the company will put forth a another suitable candidate for our evaluation....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    flyerdoc said:
    I was fortunate enough to pick up Hillary Charcoal. It reportedly burns hot and reads hot on the thermometer but when checked with an IR gun is only half the stated temp on the thermometer. Emails to the manufacturer have gone missing and I am left confused and disenfranchised. I am told that this is normal and not to believe my lying eyes.

I am preparing to build a wall and meet this phenomenon head on.

In the meantime I will fall back on BGE charcoal and hope the company will put forth a another suitable candidate for our evaluation....
    Don't worry, they know what is best for you!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    My guess would be wood was not fully carbonized, or they used some softer woods.

*I use the term fully carbonized like people use the term zero gravity.  Incorrect, but ya'll know what I mean.
    Maybe it was too fresh.  Straight from the factory to the store for the big sales the bags may not have had time to off gas.  They need at least 2 weeks for the refinery smell to go away.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jimmyhat1978
    Options
    If it makes you feel anybetter my wife bought a big bag of Cowboy and Costco.  I used it last night to grill up some steak and it was really pungent smoke.  Like eating an ash tray

Medium BGE, Japanese Konro, NOLA proud.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Tom Hanks Forrest Gump GIF - TomHanks ForrestGump Wave - Discover
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    🖐

Options