Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Burn??

Options
I've had my egg about a year now and decided last night to do a 'clean burn'.  After pulling the black cod off I opened the bottom vent fully, took off the daisy wheel, and let 'er go (checking the temp periodically).  It only went to about 550 and after about 90 min the temp was falling.  Now I haven't fully inspected it yet, but a quick look at the woo, grid, and AR that were in it showed that there is still plenty of crud, soot, grease, etc on the parts and pieces.

Did I not have enough fuel in?  After the cod I'd guess the firebox was about 1/3 - 1/2 full.  

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
XL BGE, Woo2, AR

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited August 2016
    Options
    550 is not a clean burn. Sorry. You'll need to go at least 650 for an hour. If you want a REAL clean burn, I mean the kind where the ceramics are near white again, then you'll need to go 650 - 750 for a couple hours - with lump filled to near the top of the fire ring.

Be forewarned, if you decide to take your egg to these temps your gonna need to replace the gasket as it will melt. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    550 is not a clean burn. Sorry. You'll need to go at least 650 for an hour. If you want a REAL clean burn, I mean the kind where the ceramics are near white again, then you'll need to go 650 - 750 for a couple hours - with lump filled to near the top of the fire ring.

Be forewarned, if you decide to take your egg to these temps your gonna need to replace the gasket as it will melt. Tim
    ...You may also then need to replace your ceramics!  ;)
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

...You may also then need to replace your ceramics!  ;)
    Not necessarily.  I used to cook steaks at 700 and no real problems.  I wouldn't go nuckulal, like 1200, but it should take 700 for a while.  I may do one soon since my gasket is basically gone now, but seems to do in on low and slow.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    I fall in the same boat as @SoCalTim - I'd go to 650+ and sustain.  I do my pizzas at 750-800 and it usually doubles as a minor clean burn :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    It is a good idea to check to make sure the bands are tight from time to time so as to keep the dome from falling off( which does happen), especially before doing a high temp burn. The bands heat and expand. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,924
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Not trying to start a p*ssin contest but all of my burn outs I fill it up, then do some high heat cook and then let her rip. I have gone north of 1,000 many and most times! Think my highest was 1,150+. My key difference is I don't time it and then try to snuff like some people. Instead I let it rip and let the fire burn itself out and let the egg cool down gradually overnight. I have to wonder if capping it so soon has some bearing on the failures some report. OTOH my eggs are older so maybe they were better made. I'd also be remiss if I didn't suggest that you remove your dome thermometers unless you have the high heat Tel-Tels meant to handle sustained temperatures north of 1,000 degrees.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    I have only done 2 clean burns and both were 700+ for over an hour and all seems fine,.
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I'm with RRP on this every year in the Fall before I head south for the winter I load both of my large eggs up to the top of the fire ring with the best lump ROYAL OAK! light it with the weed burner and let it burn until all that is left is Ash......... Never a problem because the BGE can take the temp and I just don't care about the gasket, one has a high temp gasket and one has no gasket. I have had to replace one fire box in 9 years. I have even taken a very hot plate setter out and doused it with COLD water to cool it down so I could leave an Egg fest and again no problem. All the ceramics have a life time warrantee so what is the big deal if something cracks???? Oh and when the clean burn is over it looks almost like new. If you own a Big Green Egg someday no matter how hot you let it get or don't something is going to crack, just like nothing in life is guaranteed but death and taxes.... Hope this rant helps at least one person, rant over.......

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    600-650 for 1 1/2 hrs is plenty enough to burn the grease out of the egg. Hell a self cleaning oven only goes 550-650.  Take some wadded up HDAF and wipe the dome once it has cooled off and all is well.  I've never understood the need to burn the ceramics white, it will be black on the next smoke.    

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    I agree with Mattman3969 100%, I do my clean burns to stop the mold that will grow over the winter when my eggs are not used.

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bgeaddikt
    Options
    I agree with Mattman3969 100%, I do my clean burns to stop the mold that will grow over the winter when my eggs are not used.
    Eggs are not used? My brain doesn't comprehend this concept  :o
    Austin, Tx
  • Miked125
    Options
    I have owned my eggs for three years, I have never done a clean burn.... However I use my eggs year round and its not humid where I live.
  • RRP
    Options
    Miked125 said:
    I have owned my eggs for three years, I have never done a clean burn.... However I use my eggs year round and its not humid where I live.
    The need for such a clean burn is in direct relation to the amount of grease meats egged.
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    Hey - thank-you all for the responses.  Next time I'll make sure that there's plenty of fuel and take the temp north of 600 for at least an hour.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Eggs are not used? My brain doesn't comprehend this concept  :o
    The Eggs that stay in NC are not used but the small egg that lives in the motor home that we live in during the winter in Okeechobee FL is used daily!!!!! trust me if I could get the two large eggs that stay behind in the motor home they would be used in FL. :)

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• RRP
    Options
    55Kevy said:
    Hey - thank-you all for the responses.  Next time I'll make sure that there's plenty of fuel and take the temp north of 600 for at least an hour.
    600 and an hour isn't going to produce any great results but suit yourself.