Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vertical turkey roaster?

Hey everyone. My wife was kind enough to get me a vertical rack to try with a turkey this weekend. I had a number of issues getting it to close the top. My intention was to start with a plate setter then drip pan with water, grill gird then basting pan with 14 lb turkey. Quickly realized that was not going to work. Ended up dumping on a horizontal rack till I got it sorted out. I ended up getting rid of drip pan and using some lug nuts for spacers on plate setter then roasting pan with turkey in there. Still was tight and I am sure it was touching inside. My question is two fold. 1. How in the heck can you guys get a large bird in there vertical? I can cut it down with bolt cutters if needed. 2. Would it be possible to have a cast iron dutch oven as my drip pan? Would the high sides on DO prevent a bird get browned? Got lucky and cooked on it 3 times this weekend so not bad. Thanks

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I've only cooked a turkey once vertically. Foster's beer can, used some aluminum foil to make a pan out of and directly on the plate setter legs up.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,716
    edited August 2016
    What sized BGE?  Independent of that, I have not gone vertical with a turkey but did get a 21lb one to fit (LBGE) by basically doing what you did and going right off the platesetter with spacing.  
    Don't know about your dome thermo but lose the retaining clip.  I run mine thru a wine cork (width-wise) and then into the BGE.  More clearance.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,694
    another way (and very easy) is just to spatchcock it

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now).