Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plan B - Prime Top Sirloin Sous Vide and Seared In A Fry Pan

Options
We found this prime top sirloin on sale at H.E.B. and decided to sous vide and sear it on the Mini-Max GrillGrates which I had lit and was waiting for it to get hot. 

All of a sudden the bottom of the sky fell out, coming down hard and furious. I wasn't about to venture into it so Plan B was enacted. Plan B called for using the Matfer fry pan I got a few months back. It's really nice but I've never used it for searing a steak, one of the main reasons I wanted one. 

Anyway, it only took a few minutes to heat the pan and sear the steak. 

For a $7 steak, this could easily pass for a $50 steak in a steakhouse. We split it 50/50 with me getting about 80% of it. Yeah, I know... 

I also got a straggler piece from the sous vide bag that was not seared. It too was delicious, just not as pretty as the seared meat. 

We'll be doing this again, even for company. 

Here's my short accounting of it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFXk7fWK8QM 

Spring "Plan B Worked" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice recovery!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    I always enjoy your videos, Mr Chicken. The steak looked wonderful.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I always enjoy your videos, Mr Chicken. The steak looked wonderful.
    Thanks, it was wonderful.  

I'm no pro at it but I do try to hit the high spots with my videos should anyone want to try something I cooked.  Plus, making a video of the photos is actually easier to decide which photos are important.  Not all are, but I tend to take way too many photos, most of which are unnecessary to get the message across.  

I'm glad you enjoy my videos.  Comments like that make it all worthwhile.

Spring "See What I Did - In Living Color" Chicken

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Just did two strip loin steaks that I dry aged last Feb. last night with a lady friend .Sous Vide them with an Anova seared them in that exact same pan you used . Melt in your mouth is how they came out .Wowed the hell out of the lady . Since I got that pan 6 months ago (waited months to get it ,back ordered) it is becoming my go to for everything . Little heavy .Seasoned up real well with the potato skin technique . Nothing sticks in it including eggs .
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Agreed, mr chicken your videos are great! Great looking steak. I've got a freezer burned steak in the freezer I'm going to try and salvage tonight likely in the same way. 

i love the shot with the steak with chicken legs. Made me chuckle!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle