Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Short Ribs

Options

Got some Beef Short Ribs last week and will attempt these for the 1st time.  Had them cut into separate bones and about 3 inches long.  It looks like an awful lot of fat on the meat side.  Should I trim some of this?  Also, many recipes call for putting them in a foil pan after 2 hours and upping the heat along with adding some juices.  I got this one from BGE site.  I am open to any ideas on how to wow my wife with these on my 1st try.

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I will be following this as I will be attempting some next week. I want to smoke them and have some sort of Asian juice or sauce on them

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I cooked shorties a couple of days ago. I rubbed them and cooked at 250 indirect over pecan chunks. I pulled them at 185 IT and put them in a covered pan with a shallow bath of beef broth, butter, and Worcestershire sauce to steam until probe tender - about 45 minutes. The bath made a great sauce.

They rocked!  =)

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I prefer them left uncut and cook them as a slab.  I never use foil anymore because it comes out more like pot roast than "brisket on a stick". Just cook them longer (4-6 hours) at 250 until they test tender.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Unless the fat is very hard fat that will not render, I would probably leave it all or at least most of it. Good luck. I like oak on my beef cooks, but it's a personal preference. It pairs great for me.